StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Exploring the SF Line Color Lambrynth, another journey into Middle Earth<< >>Post Follow-up
nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #155018
Ignore nibor100
modified
12/18/2020 2:41:24 PM

Not sure I've uncovered any hard and fast line color rules for SF but what I've found might be interesting to some of you.....

First a simple filter of the original 6 EMAs that Darryl Guppy came up with for his Traders Group:

Fetcher[
draw eMA(3)
draw eMA(5)
draw eMA(8)
draw eMA(10)
draw eMA(12)
draw eMA(15)
]

That filter shows the only 6 colors that SF uses for line drawings on the Price plot and their normal order of occurrence. On my computer the color order is Green, ReddishPurple, Orange, Dark Blue, Light Blue, and Black

Note in the following filter I've set the EMA(15) first to be drawn so it will be Green

Fetcher[
draw eMA(15)
draw eMA(5)
draw eMA(8)
draw eMA(10)
draw eMA(12)
draw eMA(3)
]

In the next filter I will show the original 6 EMAs that Darryl Guppy came up with for his Investors Group and you'll see they have the same 6 colors in the same order:

Fetcher[
draw eMA(30)
draw eMA(35)
draw eMA(40)
draw eMA(45)
draw eMA(50)
draw eMA(60)
]

Now for an SF curiosity. In the filter below I'll put in all 12 Guppy emas and you'll see by looking at the chart that the legend is not in the same order as the "draw ema" statements in the filter.

However, the order of the colors is followed in the order of individual ema statements which you'll see if you look closely, 3 and 30 are green, etc.

Fetcher[
draw eMA(3)
draw eMA(5)
draw eMA(8)
draw eMA(10)
draw eMA(12)
draw eMA(15)
draw eMA(30)
draw eMA(35)
draw eMA(40)
draw eMA(45)
draw eMA(50)
draw eMA(60)
]

Many of you are wondering "So What?"

Knowing the order of colors can help us pick and choose the colors used for our line drawings by simply re-arranging the order of statements and it appears we can limit the colors to a couple we prefer by using some skullduggery coding.

In the filter below, I want my first moving avg to be orange and my 2nd to be light blue, with no other colored lines messing up the visual.

Fetcher[

set{var2, close + 0} draw var2 on plot price PlotType{var2,dot}
set{var3, close + 0} draw var3 on plot price PlotType{var3,dot}
draw eMA(3)
set{var4, close + 0} draw var4 on plot price PlotType{var4,dot}
draw eMA(5)
set{var5, close + 0} draw var5 on plot price PlotType{var5,dot}
]

That works out kind of OKish but the chart legend is cluttered with 4 entries that we aren't really interested in seeing on our chart.

Trying to get rid of those 4 legends seems to be a bit of a challenge as you'll see in the filters below:

One way to minimize those 4 legends is to use SF's variable legend clause as shown below:

Fetcher[

set{var2, close + 0} draw var2 on plot price PlotType{var2,dot} Legend{var2,; }
set{var3, close + 0} draw var3 on plot price PlotType{var3,dot} Legend{var3,; }
draw eMA(3)
set{var4, close + 0} draw var4 on plot price PlotType{var4,dot} Legend{var4,; }
draw eMA(5)
set{var5, close + 0} draw var5 on plot price PlotType{var5,dot} Legend{var5,; }
]

Finally, my attempts to get rid of those 4 legends entirely ran into some SF anomalies, but perhaps some of you can figure out a better way by editing the filter below:

Fetcher[

set{var2, close + 0} draw var2 on plot price PlotType{var2,dot} Legend{var2, }
add column var2
set{var3, close + 0} draw var3 on plot price PlotType{var3,dot} Legend{var3,; }
draw eMA(3)
set{var4, close + 0} draw var4 on plot price PlotType{var4,dot} Legend{var4,; }
draw eMA(5)
set{var5, close + 0} draw var5 on plot price PlotType{var5,dot} Legend{var5,; }
]

As you can see by looking at the var2 column header in the results SF is not happy with no text in the legend box. Seems to draw OK on 1 or 2 lines but if there are many of those missing text Legend commands, strange things start to happen with the charts, to include an inability to override them by commenting out all of the Legend commands, very odd indeed.

Hope this helps some of you,
Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #155019
Ignore graftonian
12/18/2020 4:00:50 PM

@Ed S.
I had no idea one could manipulate the chart presentation. Good Work!!
I would like to present that mass of blue "tic marks" With a difference in color, even being able to vary the color of the 15x30 "hits" would separate the traders and investor groups.
Thanks Again, and Merry Christmas,
Duane

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Exploring the SF Line Color Lambrynth, another journey into Middle Earth<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.