StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Feature Request - Additional Charting Options<< >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #99804
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/21/2011 10:00:43 AM

I was wondering whether or not there is any chance of getting additional charting options in SF, particularly things like Renko and P&F charts.

These options tend to be more useful in determining intermediate trends, and help to reduce the overall "noise" seen in typical candlestick charts. These options are available for free at Stockcharts.com, and I would love to be able to see SF incorporate these chart types as part of its ongoing evolution.

You guys have a great service here, and I have been a member for years. I personally would like to see it grow and introduce these types of added features as other sites have done.

duke56468
683 posts
msg #99807
Ignore duke56468
3/21/2011 11:41:18 AM

I agree, StockCharts.com has this feature I especially like the renko charts . You can set the ATR or Pts to fit the chart you are dealing with and get a very nice feel for trend and entry and exit points. Would be a great feature for SF.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #99814
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/21/2011 8:56:24 PM

Uh oh ... looks like yet another feature that will never be put into play.

Just found this with a quick search on Renko

http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1001&tid=65616&qrid=&isiframe=

Honestly - this was a request in 2008. Why did you not take action on this?

Tom and SF crew - prove me wrong about my concerns that this will never be acted upon.

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #99815
3/21/2011 9:07:27 PM

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion. We will look into adding the chart styles that you mention. If we have any questions or updates, we will let you know.

As you know StockFetcher is a screening and charting product; introducing Renko and P&F charts drastically changes how information is processed and conveyed. For example, depending on implementation, a simple switch from one chart-type to another can lead to differences in the resulting values for related technical measures. Once this happens, pairing up the results from a screen with a chart becomes impossible to clearly illustrate.

We hope you can understand how a change such as this can have a serious impact in how information is paired between screen results and the charts.

If StockFetcher was simply a "charting" product, adding these styles would be very straightforward and easy. A toggle from one chart-type to another is very easy. Synchronizing chart-types with screen results is another issue altogether.

If you can possibly provide more details on your expectations of this feature on StockFetcher that would certainly help us understand how best we might be able to implement these chart types.

StockFetcher Support

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #99826
Ignore maxreturn
3/22/2011 5:51:29 PM

Tomb, I second the request for renko charts. I daytrade the emini russell for a living and renko charts have been a critical part of my success. It would be AWESOME to have this capability in SF. Please, seriously consider this.

chi-twn
9 posts
msg #99828
Ignore chi-twn
3/22/2011 8:16:21 PM

I just joined SF and also use Renko. Would be great if you could add it to SF

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #99880
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
3/25/2011 2:57:44 PM

stockfetcher
msg #99815 3/21/2011 9:07:27 PM

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion. We will look into adding the chart styles that you mention. If we have any questions or updates, we will let you know.

As you know StockFetcher is a screening and charting product; introducing Renko and P&F charts drastically changes how information is processed and conveyed. For example, depending on implementation, a simple switch from one chart-type to another can lead to differences in the resulting values for related technical measures. Once this happens, pairing up the results from a screen with a chart becomes impossible to clearly illustrate.

We hope you can understand how a change such as this can have a serious impact in how information is paired between screen results and the charts.

If StockFetcher was simply a "charting" product, adding these styles would be very straightforward and easy. A toggle from one chart-type to another is very easy. Synchronizing chart-types with screen results is another issue altogether.

If you can possibly provide more details on your expectations of this feature on StockFetcher that would certainly help us understand how best we might be able to implement these chart types.

StockFetcher Support
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These are good points, but I think that you can actually spin this as a unique set of indicators that dramatically expand SF's filtering and backtesting capabilities. I for one would love to see SF screen on these types of charts (Stockcharts.com does this as you can plot indicators on the charts but it does not screen by this method).

It would be great if you can seriously consider doing this - maybe by requiring the filter to specifically state the chart type you can prevent confusion (e.g. "chart-type is Renko"). Then those writing the filters already understand that the output will not be typical as is seen in a line or candlestick chart.

PLEASE - consider this request. There has been very little expansion of the SF code base and indicator sets since I have joined, and no additional plot types. Perhaps it is time to revisit this for the current subscribers.

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #99884
3/25/2011 4:12:23 PM

Hi Kevin_in_GA,

Thank you for the follow-up. First, I can tell you that the code-base for StockFetcher is always being updated and enhanced. While you may not visually see updates, we are always updating the product.

With respect adding screening capabilities for the chart-types you have mentioned, this will very likely not be added to StockFetcher. The primary reason is due to the complexity involved.

As you are no doubt intimately familiar with the Renko charts, changing the starting point of the chart can alter the underlying values. Even assuming the same "brick size", changing the starting date used to compute the Renko "price" values will alter the resulting measures. Couple that with variable, or even computed, brick sizes it becomes extremely difficult to provide a clear method of screening and validation of results.

Additionally, while we have historically had a handful of requests to support Renko and other charts in the past, this does not rank near the top of the most requested features. Honestly, as far as screening based on Renko, this is the first request we have ever had for this functionality in 9 years of operating StockFetcher.

Combining the complexity and relatively small audience, from our point of view, we do not see this as a feature that would either:

(a) attract enough new subscribers to justify the expense.
(b) be supported by enough existing subscribers, willing to pay additional fees for this feature.

We certainly appreciate your feedback and feature suggestions, so please keep them coming! However, we are sorry to see you feel StockFetcher is not being adequately updated and furthered for your screening needs.

StockFetcher Support

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Feature Request - Additional Charting Options<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.