StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Filter for 3-10-16 oscillator<< >>Post Follow-up
Kaylexa
11 posts
msg #105192
Ignore Kaylexa
2/29/2012 5:54:59 PM

Hi All,

I've been using SF since Aug 2010. Love it. I've been able to create lots of cool filters for many popular indicators. A few months ago I began relying more on the 3-10-16 oscillator popularized by Linda Raschke and "Chick" Goslin. How do I go about creating a filter for the 3-10-16 oscillator? (The “3/10 oscillator” is created by subtracting a 10-period simple moving average from a 3-period simple moving average, and then creating a 16-period simple moving average of the 3/10 oscillator. 3/10 line is the “fast” line, and the 16-period SMA is the “slow” line.) I know it's a rather simple indicator, but if the 3-10-16 oscillator is not part of the "pre-built" indicators on SF, then I don't know how to go about creating a filter from scratch. And I don't want to use the pre-built MACD because MACD uses exponentials, not simple moving averages.

There is a specific filter I want to create using the 3-10-16 oscillator (I want to use weekly charts):

Fast line associated with the current weekly bar is higher than last week (basically the fast line is higher today than last week's close).
Slow line is above zero line.

Then of course, for the opposite direction:

Fast line for current weekly bar is lower than last week's weekly bar close.
Slow line is below zero line.

Any help will be appreciated. I searched the forums, and I found a few posts about the 3-10-16 oscillator, but nothing like the added filter I'm looking for.

Happy Trading,

Kaylexa

four
5,087 posts
msg #105198
Ignore four
modified
2/29/2012 11:53:53 PM

(The “3/10 oscillator” is created by subtracting a 10-period simple moving average from a 3-period simple moving average, and then creating a 16-period simple moving average of the 3/10 oscillator. 3/10 line is the “fast” line, and the 16-period SMA is the “slow” line.)
--
Start here...

Fetcher[
set{x, ma(3) - ma(10)}
set{xx, cma(x,16)}
draw x on plot xx
]

Kaylexa
11 posts
msg #105202
Ignore Kaylexa
3/1/2012 10:37:32 AM

Four,

Thank you for the start. The indicator code gives me 7,400 results. The next part is what really gives me trouble. How do I go about filtering this indicator code? How do I go about incorporating these two simple conditions using the code you gave me:

a) Weekly 3-10-16 Osc Fast line is higher than previous week
b) Weekly 3-10-16 Osc Slow line is above zero

Like this?

Fetcher[
Weekly set{x, ma(3) - ma(10)} is higher than previous week
Weekly set{xx, cma(x,16)} is above 0
draw x on plot xx

Thank you for your help.

Kaylexa

four
5,087 posts
msg #105211
Ignore four
modified
3/1/2012 4:33:07 PM

......perhaps

Fetcher[
set{x, Weekly ma(3) - Weekly ma(10)}
set{xx, Weekly cma(x,16)}
x > x 1 week ago
xx > 0
draw x on plot xx

]

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Filter for 3-10-16 oscillator<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.