StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Finding Gaps in Date Range<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
allenforsythe
5 posts
msg #31579
Ignore allenforsythe
4/1/2004 8:34:08 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. I'm interested in finding stocks that gapped up between 5 and 10 days ago in one search. I've tried several approaches without success. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Allen

DasKapital
36 posts
msg #31580
Ignore DasKapital
4/1/2004 9:32:32 AM

Hi Allen,

Simple gaps can be screened by the following:

Gap up
Fetcher[low is greater than high 1 day ago]

Gap down
Fetcher[high is below low 1 day ago]

However, these screens would conceivably find gaps as small as 1 cent (and more, of course). I'm thinking you probably want gaps of greater significance.

And, since you want gaps that occurred 5 to 10 days ago,
you might use:

Gap up
Fetcher[set{gap_up,days(low is greater than 5% above high 1 day ago)}and gap_up is between 5 and 10 and add column gap_up and sort column 5 ascending]

Gap down
Fetcher[set{gap_dn,days(high is greater than 5% below low 1 day ago)}and gap_dn is between 5 and 10 and add column gap_dn and sort column 5 ascending]

Of course, you can change the % value to your liking; add some price and volume criteria to narrow down the list, and enjoy!!

DK

allenforsythe
5 posts
msg #31592
Ignore allenforsythe
4/2/2004 8:30:22 AM

Thanks a lot! Looks good.

Allen

mzq8
4 posts
msg #31601
Ignore mzq8
4/3/2004 7:21:25 AM

thanks DasKapital
I'm trying to add a condition to this filter where the gap up before 5 days only how ? and thanks for all

yepher
359 posts
msg #31673
Ignore yepher
4/10/2004 1:43:24 PM

On possibility is do something as simple as this and use offset to look back:

{ open > close 1 day ago and close > open }

Of course another way is to fill copy and paste this several times in to the same filter and use the days ago to create the range you want. I am sure there is a much more elegant way to do it but this would also work:

{ open 5 days ago > close 6 days ago and close 5 days ago > open 5 days ago
OR open 6 days ago > close 7 days ago and close 6 days ago > open 6 days ago }

I will leave the rest to you to copy and paste.

yepher
359 posts
msg #31674
Ignore yepher
4/10/2004 1:45:08 PM

Oops, sorry for the late post.. I did not see you had already got the reply DOH!!!

hkay
2 posts
msg #31675
Ignore hkay
4/10/2004 1:55:02 PM

Is there a way other than copy and paste. Say to find gap stocks with say 2 times average volume within the last 30 days, the copy and paste work-around would be so cumbersome.

Thanks in advance for help

yepher
359 posts
msg #31678
Ignore yepher
4/10/2004 6:58:41 PM

Here is a little more elegant way to do it that does not require the cumbersome copy and paste and it probably the more correct solution:

Fetcher[close-to-open gap is above 0 in the last 10 days]

hkay
2 posts
msg #31778
Ignore hkay
4/17/2004 4:03:48 PM

Thanks a lot!

sbeckers
22 posts
msg #34079
Ignore sbeckers
11/23/2004 11:00:01 AM

The filter written above by DasKapital is what I am trying to do, but it doesn't work! Can anyone de-bug it?

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Finding Gaps in Date Range<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.