StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Fitler Insight<< >>Post Follow-up
Drkyle
4 posts
msg #31407
Ignore Drkyle
3/14/2004 10:34:58 PM

I'm looking to produce a filter to look for stocks that are close to hitting there 4-13 week highs. Not sure its even possible?

thanks
doug

cegis
235 posts
msg #31412
Ignore cegis
3/15/2004 9:16:22 AM

How 'bout somthin' like

Fetcher[set{ratio,close / high 4 week high} ratio is greater than 0.95 and close between 5 and 45 add column high 4 week high add column ratio close between 5 and 45]

as an example?

Should show those within 5% if the 4 week high...

HTH,

C

P.S., RTFM <g>

Drkyle
4 posts
msg #31416
Ignore Drkyle
3/15/2004 12:46:07 PM

is there also a way to use the intra day price high also?
like if it came within 95% during the day but closed at the 93% range?

thanks for your help
Doug

cegis
235 posts
msg #31417
Ignore cegis
3/15/2004 4:48:29 PM

Doug,

"close" is the daily close, "high" is the intraday high. Can you figure it out from there?

It would really do you good to Read The Friendly Manual (aka User's Guide). Yeah, there's a lot to it, but you should understand how to write a filter after reading it, which is pretty much a requirement to getting ANYTHING out of this site.

HTH,

C

Drkyle
4 posts
msg #31419
Ignore Drkyle
3/15/2004 7:17:55 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong. but the filter you helped/gave me takes the intraday or close high for the last four weeks. Then it uses the closing price of today to assess if its above the 95% ratio.

my last question was in relationship to todays intraday high and close. so in affect todays high could be at 95% but after it closes it could be at 93%.

As far as your FTFM comment if you don't care to help others thats fine but your need so make SA comments is not necessary. i have written filters i have used stockfetcher for several months and i do still need alot of help. I have also emailed tech support for which i pay for with no response. So if I don't meet your criteria to help then don't

Thanks for your current time
Doug

cegis
235 posts
msg #31421
Ignore cegis
3/15/2004 8:38:19 PM

Doug,

Sorry, but I didn't mean to ba a "SA". I guess I thought you might be a newbie, and if you were, reading the manual would help a LOT. In fact, RE-READING the manual may still help alot... I guess I find this quite straight forward, but might not be so obvious if one wasn't aware of the set{} command. I was unaware of set{} for a while...

I guess I don't understand where you are having difficulty. If you can tell me what value you are looking for to use in the filter, I'd be happy to help. But I don't plan on writing the filter for you. I think you'll learn more by figuring it out yourself. From what I understand, you need the following values:

"close" = closing price as of last market close
"high" = intraday high during the last regular market session
"close 4 week high" = the highest "close" over the past 20 days (4 weeks x 5 market days per week - I'm not sure how holidays effect the calculation of days from weeks. I believe "20 days" is always 20 market days, "4 weeks" may be 4 calendar weeks. Maybe I should RTFM! <GRIN>)
"high 4 week high" = the highest "high" over the past 4 weeks.

You can use as many set{} commands in a filter as you want, and you can use as many filtering conditions as you want, separated by the word "and". (I'm not even sure the "and" is necessary, but does make it more readable...)

From this info, plus my first post, I think you should be able to put together the filter you are looking for. If you'd like to post it, I'd be happy to review it...

BTW, your analysis of what my filter does was basically correct: it takes the 4 week intraday high ("high 4 week high"), divides yesterday's close ("close /") by that number, and if it is greater than 95%, the stock will be selected.

One other thing that might be confusing you (I can only guess) is the "4 week high" phrase. For any indicator (I believe), you can append a phrase such as "4 week high" to get the indicator's highest value over the past 4 weeks. The 4 can be any number (subject to some limit, which I don't know off the top of my head), "week" can be "day" or "week" or, I think, "month"; and "high" can be "high" or "low". So you can have phrases such as "close 50 day low" or "volume 30 day high".

I hope this helps. I like to help out when I can because others help me when I need it. However, there are people I've run across, in forums such as this, who are looking for others to do their work for them. I have no desire to "help" these people.

C

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Drkyle
4 posts
msg #31422
Ignore Drkyle
3/16/2004 1:46:59 AM

Ok my question really stems from the High phrase. I understand that it reflects the intraday high of the 4 week period. what i'm confused about is how to use it for not only the highest price during the 4 weeks but to also use it for the highest price during todays market day. As i look at the current fliter i take it as the system is assuming i'm looking for a ratio of 95% or better using the closeing price of the stock today. i say assuming because as i read it and separate each piece and its affect i find nothing that states a var. for that part of the equation. Is there a way to put the high or close on both sides of the equation.

example:
Four week high $5.00
Todays intradays high $4.75 (95% of high)
Todays Close $4.69 (94% of high)

as i understand the current filter this stock would not be picked up becasue the close was not within the 95% but the intraday high of today met the 95% ratio. I was hoping that you could use the High phrase not only for the 4 week period but also the current day. maybe i'm missing something here.

thanks
doug

cegis
235 posts
msg #31427
Ignore cegis
3/16/2004 4:37:36 PM

Doug,

You're close. Simply use "high" for prior close. Use "high 4 week high" for the highest high within the 4 weeks. So, perhaps you could use

Fetcher[set{ratio1,close / high 4 week high} set{ratio2,high / high 4 week high} ratio1 is greater than 0.93 and ratio2 is greater than 0.95]

So, in the calculation of ratio2, the prior regular session's intraday high is being divided by the highest 4 week intraday high.

A few points:

- I seem to recall reading in some post somewhere that you can't use "or" to group conditions. If that (ratio1 > .93 OR ratio2 > .95) was your intent, and I think it is, then you could create two filters. Then, set up a Watch list with the two filters and use auto-update feature to select stocks that meet either condition.

- Just a reminder that "is greater than" does NOT include equal. (Something I frequently overlook...) So, if you want 95% or greater, use "is greater than 0.9499". (I do not believe "greater than or equal to" is a valid phrase.)

HTH,

C

travlr
80 posts
msg #31428
Ignore travlr
3/16/2004 4:38:32 PM

Doug,

Check out "day position" in the help section.

travlr

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Fitler Insight<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.