StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Have the market's changed??<< >>Post Follow-up
mmaurice
51 posts
msg #106475
Ignore mmaurice
5/31/2012 9:22:21 AM

I have a couple filters/systems that were working very well over the last couple years. One was a short system and the other a long. They both have backtested great results back to 1998. The short filter actually killed it in 2008.

They both react off huge price swings in a stock and then play the reverse action. For example, a stock rises signifcantly in one day, short it the next.

However, within the last 6-9mo both have for lack of a better term, stopped working. Now both have had down periods over 14 years, but none ever this long. I track several different results for each (days held, return, etc) and the data has all gone haywire.

At this point I won't say it is just the market changing as 2001-02 and 2008-09 were unprecidented times and both systems held true to their stats.

I want to blame HFT or something else.

Has anybody else noticed their long standing filters/systems acting goofy?

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #106476
Ignore johnpaulca
5/31/2012 11:54:40 AM

Market is dynamic, I continuously tweak my filters to adapt to this changing environment.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #106479
Ignore miketranz
5/31/2012 5:05:38 PM

Sounds like the job market,the real estate market,ect.What worked well in the past,does not work well in the present or possibly the future.Like the man said "dynamics".The name of the game today is rapid change & adaptation.It's time to find a couple more filters that work in todays market enviorment....

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Have the market's changed??<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.