StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Help TOMB! Filter Brain-Teaser<< >>Post Follow-up
chessnut1
58 posts
msg #29877
Ignore chessnut1
11/14/2003 7:44:57 PM

TOMB (or anyone else for that matter),

I am puzzed to discover under what conditions, if any, a search for stocks where the close reached a new 20 day high 10 days ago would NOT also find the stocks where the close reached a new 52 week high 10 days ago.

Here's the thing. I have been running the following filter: "show stocks where the close reached a new 52 week high within the last 10 days and price is between 1 and 10." Then I thought, I will "throw the net wider" and catch more stocks, which will include the recent 52 week high stocks, by using the following filter: "show stocks where the close reached a new 20 day high within the last 10 days and price is between 1 and 10."

This 2nd filter does indeed incorporate all of the stocks found by the first filter, at least in the dozens of times I have run them. At one point it seemed clear to me that this would be the case-- at least on the intuitive level-- but now, as I think about it, I'm hard pressed to logically explain it, or even that it is true in all cases. Seems like there should be some exceptions that I am not noticing.

This has become something of a brain teaser for me, and I can't wrap my simple gray matter around it. Might a clue be found in the "last 10 days" part of the filter?

So, if the reason why filter 2 incorporates results from filter 1 is clear to you, could you explain it to me please? What general rule, such as "ANY greater period high will be a subset of searches specifying a lesser period high" can apply here? And if the phrase, "within the last X days" is a delimiting factor, what price action within that 10 day period might EXCLUDE a new 52-week high stock filter return from appearing?

My brain can't seem to get it. Thanks for your help.

--BJ

gladlynt
3 posts
msg #29902
Ignore gladlynt
11/17/2003 3:48:57 PM

If there was a 52 week high within the last 10 days then it HAS to also be a 20 day high, no way around it. However a 20 day high does not have to be a 52 week high. If you did the 52 week high within the last 30 days, then did a 20 day high within the last 10 days you would get any stocks that hit a new high between 20 & 30 days ago then continued to go up. The best way to do this in 1 filter would be to do a count of new 52 week highs within the last 30 days.

chessnut1
58 posts
msg #29937
Ignore chessnut1
11/18/2003 8:43:39 PM

Thanks gladlynt. You make sense. Mrknd responded to me with a similar bottom-line conclusion in a Muddy Method Group post. Appreciate having two thinkers concur.

--BJ

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Help TOMB! Filter Brain-Teaser<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.