StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · High Beta<< >>Post Follow-up
kuhllax24
3 posts
msg #43829
Ignore kuhllax24
5/17/2006 10:01:52 PM

Hey everyone, having a little problem writing this in my filter and was looking for some guidance. Basically I'm trying to filter out high beta stocks. The criteria I'm using is:

(Max High of the last 10 days - Max Low of the last 10 days)/Close > 10%

or

(Max High of the last 10 days - Max Low of the last 10 days) > 5

The problem is threefold:

1) I don't know how to ask for the max high and max low of the last 10 days;
2) I don't know how to tell Stockfetcher to find stocks, in which the difference of the high high and low low divided by the close is greater than 10% (basically given Stockfetcher a simple calculation);
3) Does Stockfetcher even have an "or" function? I've only seen "and" used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

itrademan
70 posts
msg #43830
Ignore itrademan
5/18/2006 12:26:55 AM

Try this

Fetcher[
Set{H10, high 10 day high}
Set{L10, low 10 day low}
Set{HL10, H10 - L10}
Set{B10, HL10 / close}

Set{HL10True, count(HL10 > 5,1)}
Set{B10True, count(B10 > 0.10,1)}

/* For OR condition */
Set{SelStck, HL10True + B10True}

SelStck > 1

add column H10
add column L10
add column HL10
add column B10
add column HL10True
add column B10True

draw H10 on plot price
draw L10 on plot price

do not draw HL10
do not draw HL10True
do not draw B10True
]

kuhllax24
3 posts
msg #46449
Ignore kuhllax24
8/17/2006 10:58:46 PM

itrademen,

Thank you so much for devising the high-beta filter for me, I implemented it right after you put it on the forum. I never could've come up with that on my own.

I've noticed, however, that after a couple of months of using it I'm only getting a certain kind of stock: basically any stock that's above $40. It looks like when I implemented the filter, the function "SelStck above 1" always gives me a result of 2. That means that Stockfetcher will only filter stocks that over the past 10 days had an increase of over 10% between its max high and max low, AND the stock price has changed by more than $5 over the last 10 years. Hence the reason why stocks only $40, because lower-priced stocks maybe had a 10% swing in 10 days, but its stock price wasn't changing by $5 in 10 days.

I would like an either/or function, so that it returns stocks that either increased over 10% or had its stock price change by $5.

Can you (or anyone else) help me with the formula? Basically tweaking it so that SelStck does indeed give me an either/or function.

Thank you again.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #46468
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/18/2006 2:47:20 PM

Change this

SelStck > 1

to

SelStck > 0

HTH.

kuhllax24
3 posts
msg #46470
Ignore kuhllax24
8/18/2006 2:52:17 PM

That made it work.

Thank you so much.

And may all your fills be complete.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · High Beta<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.