StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How many filters do you have?<< >>Post Follow-up
gocats
22 posts
msg #47435
Ignore gocats
10/12/2006 2:26:04 PM

Just wondering, on an average how many filters does one have.

So,

How many filters do you have in "My Filters"?
Which filter(s) do you look at(rely) everday?

For me....
I have 12 filters (I recently joined SF :)

I rely on these filters everyday

Revised RSI(2)
Aroon Oscillator AND MACD

papagatorga
124 posts
msg #47458
Ignore papagatorga
10/14/2006 12:36:48 PM

I had at one time as many as 50. Now I only have 25. I eliminated 5 last week. I test all my filters weekly for 20 and 40 day results because I only hold 1-2 months usually. I keep running results of all my filters and those that underperform I eliminate. I expect to eventually get down to about 10. Those 4-5 filters that are my top performers I put in my Watch Lists. I am currently only testing my filters because all my purchases recently have been from a Market Letter that is doing much better for me than my filters were. I have some filters of my own making and others that I have picked up here on the forums. There are some very knowledgeable people on here and they are very gracious with their time and teaching. I really appreciate them.

Dan-o
19 posts
msg #47476
Ignore Dan-o
10/14/2006 8:49:33 PM

One. It blends elements of several filters I have used over the last few years and I am really comfortable with it now. I can look at a chart and know within a split second whether to buy, sell, or stay on the sidelines. The benefit, I think, of using only a few strong filters is that you get so familiar with them, your trade picks become intuitive rather than analytical. I can't explain it, but when I see a stock on my filter that I like, it's more of a feeling that I get instead of a thought. I can feel that the stock is ready to rip and I like that! Logistically, I can't look at a lot of filters, nor do I have the capital to trade them. I just want to know when the 84 MPH cheese is going to come from the pitcher on a 3-1 count.

Dan-o

markcrisp
187 posts
msg #47607
Ignore markcrisp
10/24/2006 5:18:10 AM

this is what I do not undersrtand..if you have 10+ filters how can you trade all thos stocks at one time? Surely you pick the best one maybe two and trade them through good and bad times...instead of trying to trade everything?

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #47610
Ignore luc1grunt
10/24/2006 7:31:46 AM

Down to 3 screens (swing and position trades). I don't trade all the results, probably around 25% of them, but tightening the filters drop some really good candidates.

Beyond the above 3 screens are a couple that measure volatility and day range to identify those with strong intraday swing potential (BRCM/QCOM/SBUX/EBAY etc., etc.). On many days, these are the consistent winners and are used only as day trades when I have the time.

gocats
22 posts
msg #47617
Ignore gocats
10/24/2006 9:41:30 PM

Hey Luc1grunt
I know you...you are from Cramersmadmoney isn't?
What 3 filters do you have?

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #47627
Ignore luc1grunt
10/25/2006 7:27:43 AM

I was on there (Cramer's) for a bit watching the pumpers do their thing. And watching BoobYahoo predict the end of the world each day, ha!!! There are great filters on this site (SF) published under public filters and many more by Riggs (did I say that), TRO, Niko, Yepher on, and on.....(I'm sure I'm leaving many great one's out).

I'll not post the filters, because they have to be traded using my style, abilities, and time, and would be difficult to explain, however:

Shorts (Daily intraday swings): Volume, RSI (2), BBs, and Linear Regression.

Longs (coming off bottom for a quick bounce): Muddy's 3 day fail (with many of TheRumpledOne's inputs and RSI(2)).

Position Trades: Stocks consolidating in phase 1, moving within a Channel, narrowing daily range, increasing volume. Long or short depending on the breakout above or below the channel.

I also scan high volume and high daily range stocks and trade 1 or 2 of them intraday to catch the intraday swings for a quick buck.

I've been actively "trading" for 18 months now and turned the corner with "daily profits" 5 months ago. This is after 20 years of "investing" using only chart patters and fundies so I'm still learning many indicators. Long term investments have paved the way for my lifestyle and trading opprotunites.

I don't use automated trading and only use the screens to "narrow the list". Ya gotta trade from there. Every big loss in my jounal is because of breaking my own damn rules!!

Thanks to many on here and good luck.!!

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #47628
Ignore luc1grunt
10/25/2006 7:31:19 AM

Also (for what it's worth). I just loaded the top 40 of Forbes top 200 small companies into a watch list that I apply filters to. Looking for consolidation or pullbacks to make some longer term approaches. :) October has always been a great month for entry for me over the years.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How many filters do you have?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.