StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How old is Grandpa???<< >>Post Follow-up
johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #102205
Ignore johnpaulca
8/12/2011 10:59:08 AM

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before;

television
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees and
the pill

There were no:
credit cards
laser beams or
ball-point pens

Man had not invented:
panty hose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'. And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense..

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the Prime Minister's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
'grass' was mowed,
'coke' was a cold drink,
'pot' was something your mother cooked in and
rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby.
'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office,
'chip' meant a piece of wood,
'hardware' was found in a hardware store and
'software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused' and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind... you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time..

Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 59 years old!!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #102211
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/12/2011 3:45:00 PM

Only funny because it's true...LOL!!

lillian
26 posts
msg #102218
Ignore lillian
8/12/2011 7:31:02 PM

sorry folks. a 59 yr old was born in 1950 and came of age in the 60s and 70s. it's true that a 59 yr old was born before the advent of dual incomes and pantyhose, but there's no way that (s)he didn't embrace them before the age of 20. For Grandpa to still think in these terms, he would have to be covered with earth. Or have the gift of incredible longevity.

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #102219
Ignore Eman93
8/12/2011 7:31:59 PM

The sad thing is these are the people who ran the country for the last 20 years.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #102243
Ignore alf44
8/13/2011 4:54:01 PM

"lillian"

A 59 year old man would have been born in 1952 !

NOT ... 1950 !

Do the math !

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #102244
Ignore Eman93
8/13/2011 5:32:00 PM

In 1922, Carrier had two breakthroughs - he replaced the ammonia with the benign coolant dielene and added a central compressor to reduce the size of the unit. The next advance was when Carrier sold his invention to movie-theater operators, with a notable debut in 1925 at the Rivoli on Broadway in New York City. In a short amount of time, air conditioners were installed in office buildings, department stores and railroad cars. The United States House of Representatives had air conditioners installed in 1928, with the Senate, White House and Supreme Court following suit in the years after. After World War II, window units air conditioners appeared, with sales escalating from 74,000 in 1948 to 1,045,000 in 1953.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #102359
Ignore johnpaulca
8/18/2011 10:05:33 PM

Harold is my inspirational hero!

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither. Harold Schlumberg is such a person:

THIS IS QUOTED FROM HAROLD:

I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'

Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whiskey into urine. It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Harold should be an inspiration to us all.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #102360
Ignore alf44
modified
8/18/2011 10:18:26 PM

... can I get an AMEN ?

---

AMEN !!!

Say it AGAIN !!!

AMEN !!!

heypa
283 posts
msg #102372
Ignore heypa
8/19/2011 1:27:30 PM

I'm older than dirt. Make that 85.I'm aware from about 10 years old and his observations as seen by me in rural central New Jersey are correct. The ice man delivered ice for our ice box using a horse drawn wagon. Made by refrigeration (not locally) but I didn't see it. Hell I'm sure that in the rural central parts of the country there was no electricity until later. I saw many things only in the movies and RKO news at the movies.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How old is Grandpa???<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.