StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I Want Software That Can...<< >>Post Follow-up
TraderMojo
16 posts
msg #90990
Ignore TraderMojo
4/9/2010 7:49:08 PM

I'm sure the big boys have software that can do this, but does anyone know of available software that can iteratively run backtests on one or more filters to give the filter parameters for optimal profit?

For example, the software would run backtests on a filter where the RSI(X) crossed above Y, varying X and Y to find their optimal values.

Stockfetcher, that would make a nice 3.0 feature.

MarketMonk
6 posts
msg #91035
Ignore MarketMonk
4/11/2010 3:05:46 AM

You may want to look at Amibroker. It's pretty amazing and runs circles around SF .

But has it's downsides as well. It costs a little chunk of change and requires a data subscription service for either realtime data or EOD data. The other downside is it will require a pretty good learning curve to get up to speed.

But it should let you do all sorts of backtesting with optimization (creating 3D plots, etc).

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #91039
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
4/11/2010 5:38:16 AM

Investor/RT from www.linnsoft.com. Very reasonable pricing (my EOD subscription is $50/month), and it can do exactly what you are asking. Can also get real-time and intraday optimization as well. LOTS of indicators and features.

What it does not do is to select stocks, it only optimizes against a set of stocks for whatever indicator settings provide the best profit.

sbuck143
88 posts
msg #91092
Ignore sbuck143
modified
4/12/2010 2:51:59 PM

I use Metastock as my charting / backtesting service primarily. I paid a one-time fee for it up front, and paid a one time fee for a 3rd party EOD data downloader, so the software has already paid for itself on the back of a few good trades.

Be careful about too much optimization. A very wise trader once told me that if you create a system that only works under an exact set of precisely optimized parameters, it is doomed to fail when you trade it in real life...

Stockfetcher scratches my itch because I can access it at work and its programming language is easier to deal with.

wdewerff
7 posts
msg #91105
Ignore wdewerff
4/12/2010 10:17:56 PM

Ninjatrader, it's a free download for non-trading purposes and free eod data. The backtester will do optimizations, but as the previous poster said, don't over optimize and backtest over different periods and timeframes.

TraderMojo
16 posts
msg #91109
Ignore TraderMojo
4/12/2010 11:10:46 PM

Way of the Turtle has some good discussion on good versus bad optimization. Good optimization is discovering how changes to a parameter impact the performance of your system, allowing you to select the optimal value for trading. Bad optimization, or overfitting, is taking it too far -- adding rules that affect only a small number of important trades, which ends up skewing your results.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I Want Software That Can...<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.