StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Important question about results ...<< >>Post Follow-up
rsarno
103 posts
msg #34613
Ignore rsarno
12/30/2004 8:08:13 PM

Lets say a fetch returns a stock and i buy it.

The next day the stock doesnt do much of anything, maybe goes down a few cents.

Now i run the same filter and it does not return the same stock just one day later after a slight drop.

does that mean it has gone against the pattern that was initially found?

I mean if the stock dropped a few pennies, wouldnt it still be on the list? thanks.

yepher
359 posts
msg #34617
Ignore yepher
12/30/2004 9:45:04 PM

rsano,

It really depends on your filter if a few cent change will cause a stock to drop off the radar. If you happen to have volume weighted indicators the the Volume may have caused the diff.

So, most likely the stocks change did cause it to not meet some critrea of you filter but it may or may not have something to do with the price change.

rsarno
103 posts
msg #34621
Ignore rsarno
12/31/2004 12:53:48 AM

meaning that the logis which brought me to the stock is not there now, and i should abondon ship?

thanks yepher.

yepher
359 posts
msg #34631
Ignore yepher
12/31/2004 1:45:01 PM

Sorry, I don't have a Yes/No answer.

I depends greatly on your filter and what it was designed for.

Just because your entry signal is gone does not necessarily mean that it turns into an an exit signal also. I generally have very differnt methods for Entering a trade compared to my exit signals.

Ideally you would have already determined your exit before you even enter the trade. For some it might be a fixed amount of gain or loss while other might use some set of indicators to determine their exit.

Here is a concrete (albeit simple) example of when an entry filter does require an exit when the filter does not return your symbol anymore.

Fetcher[
MACD Fast Line(12,26) crossed above the MACD Slow Line(12,26)
]

A "cross" is an event that happens at most 1 time in the span of a couple of days (for end of day data like SF). So if the filter happens to grab a particular stock today most likely that same stock won't be found by this filter again for at least a couple of days.

I would also argue that in the majority of cases you don't want the entry filter to try and continue returing your stock when the trend is going your way although there are probably some good examples where this could work.

My $.02

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Important question about results ...<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.