StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Indicators for Trending vs. Ranging<< >>Post Follow-up
guru_trader
485 posts
msg #54643
Ignore guru_trader
9/8/2007 3:40:20 PM

Which indicators are good at distinguishing trending from ranging periods?

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #54646
Ignore nikoschopen
9/8/2007 4:10:59 PM

Techies world over for ages have debated nonstop about this contentious issue, but the general consensus is that the moving averages are used in a trending market and oscillators like the stochastics are used in a range-bound market. I don't necessarily subscribe to this view.

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #54647
Ignore guru_trader
9/8/2007 4:26:52 PM

I've been experimenting with ADX up to this point.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #54671
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/9/2007 2:52:16 PM

Price would be the best indicator.

For the record, I am NOT joking.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #54675
Ignore nikoschopen
9/9/2007 5:05:23 PM

Guru, somewhat off topic, but perhaps you might find this video helpful. As this guy likes to say, "the proof (fundamental analysis) is in the pudding (technical analysis)."

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #54698
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
9/10/2007 2:50:06 PM

Interesting video.

Thanks for sharing.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Indicators for Trending vs. Ranging<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.