StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Institutional Buying/Selling<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
ebc001
2 posts
msg #48484
Ignore ebc001
12/9/2006 9:58:37 AM

I am new to stockfetcher and need some help.
How can I see the institutional trades of buying versus selling and the % held by institutions on a particular stock? ?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48490
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/9/2006 12:23:27 PM

www.quote.com

Click on I-Watch.

ebc001
2 posts
msg #48494
Ignore ebc001
12/9/2006 12:34:06 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I wanted to build it in the filter - can it be built in the stockfetcher - ???
is there any info I can get??

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48497
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/9/2006 1:48:51 PM

StockFetcher Technical Stock Screening is up on the left hand side of just about every SF screen.

To my knowledge, Institutional Buying/Selling is NOT a technical indicator.

It's kind of funny with all that SF has, people ( including me ) sometimes want more.

It's really madness when you think about it.

Just track ABNORMAL VOLUME via my volume displays and you'll be able to spot what the big boys ( institutions ) are doing.

I believe MSN and/or CBS used to have a way to track institutional buys/sells.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48498
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/9/2006 1:58:02 PM

ebc001:

Send me an email, therumpledone at yahoo dot com.

juha
52 posts
msg #48502
Ignore juha
12/9/2006 7:56:43 PM

what is the reason to look for institutional buying/selling? High demand? But what is the difference for you, by whom this high demand is generated, by 1-2 institutional investors or thousands of individual investors? The only thing that matters is (today volume)/(average volume(30))!!! trust me, it doesn't matter who generated that volume, the most important thing is the volume itself, not who generated it !!!!!!! I love to trade stocks which has huge ratio (pre-market volume)/(average daily volume)....

sswin
12 posts
msg #48506
Ignore sswin
12/10/2006 2:17:19 AM

The best way to know the institutional action is to find the significant change of the average cost per trade. Now we know the daily volume only, but what really matters behind that is the traded number, or average volume per trading. For example, if the daily volume is 500,000 and the traded number is 1000 for one day; and 500 for the same volume on the other day. That means institutions are doing something on the stock, right?

If we can scan the average volume per trading and find out the big change on that, we may catch up with big guys, right? I hope StockFetcher can add the filter ASAP.

markcrisp
187 posts
msg #48547
Ignore markcrisp
12/11/2006 9:00:56 AM

Remember Instutional buying, like insider buying/sellnig is an "aid" or a "tool" to trading. There is no holy Grail here...

I came across a mechanical system last year that claimed all you had to do was buy a stock and hold for 4 months where huge Inst. buying has recently taken place. Of course in the real world it never came off. Only on their "cherry picked" stocks.

glgene
613 posts
msg #48554
Ignore glgene
12/11/2006 5:13:11 PM

With SF scripting, how would you say to add a column (call it Ratio), and have it divide today's volume by average volume(30)?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48555
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
12/11/2006 5:56:09 PM

From the BASIC FILTER...

/* VOLUME CALCULATIONS */
set{v, volume 1 day ago}
set{volinc, volume - v}
set{volpc, volinc / v}
set{volpct, volpc * 100}

set{VolZ, days(volume < 1,100)}
set{VolUp, days(volume is below volume 1 day ago,100)}
set{VolDn, days(volume is above volume 1 day ago,100)}
set{VlXvl, VolUp - VolDn}

set{vck1, volume 1 day ago }
set{vck, volume / vck1 }
set{vdbl, days(vck < 2, 100)}

Fetcher[

set{ratio, volume / AVERAGE volume(30) }

ADD COLUMN ratio
ADD COLUMN AVERAGE volume(30)

CLOSE ABOVE 40
VOLUME ABOVE 1000000
market is nasdaq

sort column 5 descending
]

HTH.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Institutional Buying/Selling<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.