StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Interactive Brokers gets tagged by CFTC<< >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #112707
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
4/9/2013 3:42:11 PM

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The nation' s commodity regulator on Tuesday ordered online brokerage firm Interactive Brokers of Connecticut to pay a $225,000 fine for failing to maintain enough U.S. dollars in its customer accounts, the second time in a year the firm was fined by the agency.

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission allegedly found that between Sept. 21, 2011 and May 8, 2012, Interactive Brokers "improperly" covered its commodity futures and options customer obligations with Japanese yen and Swiss francs to "maximize its interest earnings."

The CFTC also allegedly found that before May 2012, Interactive Brokers, which has over 140,000 customer accounts, failed to train its employees and officers to prevent the violations. Interactive Brokers settled CFTC charges in July, 2012, for failing to diligently supervise the handling and reporting of accounts.

novacane32000
331 posts
msg #112714
Ignore novacane32000
4/10/2013 1:38:02 PM

Anyone with an IB acct concerned about this?

I just opened an acct recently.

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #112715
Ignore BarTune1
4/10/2013 9:00:36 PM

I don't think this much of an issue and the fine is only minor. Margin requirements generally allow for a relatively significant cushion before the brokerage would ever risk losing money as a result of client losses. They often allow some leeway with larger clients before making margin calls .... maybe they were a little too lose with their policy. I've run negative margin several times without a call - however, the negative margin has not been significant nor have I been in that position for more than 2 days.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Interactive Brokers gets tagged by CFTC<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.