StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Joules360..needs help with Stochastic Slingshot...please...<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Joules360
30 posts
msg #33251
Ignore Joules360
9/15/2004 2:03:40 PM

I am new to StockFetcher...but I had written a scan for TC2000 when I had it that gets the daily stochastic swinging up from below when the weekly stoch was rising and above 70...

Something to this effect: Daily stoch 5,3,3 less than 30 but greater than 20 and weekly 35,10,1 Stoch greater than 70...this gets the daily stochastic turning up when the weekly trend is up...kind of like trend continuation to hold for the week to catch the meat of the swing...quite effective short term swing strategy. I may have to read the whole section on stochastics....
Any help appreciated....

Joules360

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #33253
Ignore EWZuber
9/15/2004 5:53:46 PM

Show stocks where Weekly Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 70
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 30 and and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 20
and Average Volume(90) is above 100,000 and close is between 0.50 and 15.

Change the close ( closing price ) and volume requirements to whatever you want.

I see you are interested in catching the climax run.

Joules360
30 posts
msg #33256
Ignore Joules360
9/15/2004 7:14:38 PM

EWZuber:

Thanks for the fast reply....I appreciate it...Yea...Im looking for the meat of the run...10% in 1-2 weeks.....then I flip it into another stock with the same criteria.

I use http://www.foliofn.com to buy up to 50 stocks in one folio for $19.95 month all fees inclusive...You can window trade at 11am and 2pm daily....sure they are skimming me at foliofn with the price..I expect that for the low fixed commission price...but I am looking to get 10% quickly on the upswing continuation so I dont care if we both make money...The ones that flop...I dump quickly after a couple of days..when its clear they are not going to bounce up...and then replace them with more scans of the same criteria....Its the most cost effective way to swing like this...If 30 of the 50 move up...its almost always a +++ net gain...
Realistcally I want a net gain of 1% week...Its attainable this way and all the portfolio money is working all the time...as opposed to single stock buying and selling which only uses part of your portfolio because you want to limit risk and commissions...This has no penalty to go in and buy at 11am and if u feel like dumping at 2 pm u can without extra commission. So its cost effective....

Thanks again for the scan help....
Joules360

defghca
150 posts
msg #33260
Ignore defghca
9/16/2004 8:10:30 AM

interesting filter. for a more compact code try
Fetcher[Show stocks where Weekly Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 70
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is between 20 and 30 and Average Volume(90) is above 100,000 and close is between 0.50 and 15
]

Joules360
30 posts
msg #33265
Ignore Joules360
9/16/2004 1:50:18 PM

I added some changes to the original scan..thanks again for the start....price up 1 day...for turnaround day....and $5 to $200 on price..as I am looking for better quality stocks...9 of the 10 are up so far today...It may be a bit sloppy..but here is the new scan:

Fetcher[Show stocks where Weekly Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 70 and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 30 and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 20 and Average Volume(90) is above 100,000 and close is between 5.00 and 200.00 and price is above MA(50) and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above Slow Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D and Price increasing for 1 days]

I would like it too really say that yesterday the Stochastic was below 20 and today is above 20...if someone could insert that somehow....then we will have the up swing beginning..
Joules360

cegis
235 posts
msg #33266
Ignore cegis
9/16/2004 2:14:51 PM

Like this?

Fetcher[
Show stocks where Weekly Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 70
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 30
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 20
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K 1 day ago is below 20 /* added this */
and Average Volume(90) is above 100,000
and close is between 5.00 and 200.00
and price is above MA(50)
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above Slow Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D
and Price increasing for 1 days
]

HTH,

C

Joules360
30 posts
msg #33267
Ignore Joules360
9/16/2004 3:55:10 PM

Cegis:

Excellent addition to the scan...If you buy every one of these up to 50 in a folio as outlined in my method described above...I would almost guarantee 1% average a week and doubling your money every other year at least...not only that...but no more than $1000 in each pick will guarantee safety and diversification that makes this system work. It wont work if you try to cherry pick the best looking charts and buy them one at a time through a discount broker.
1) You may pick a stock that looks good on chart...and fails.
2) You are probably putting all your cash at risk by loading up on one stock that potentially can fail and ruining your avg return.
3) You are buying one stock and you have wasted cash sitting idle in your account.
4) Your commissions will be higher and you will not want to dump lousy performers quickly because of churning commissons.

The diversification and buying all stocks with the same criteria is the key...sure...some will fail...you expect that...but all will not....the
winners will outpace the losers as you dump them quickly if they fail and replace them with new scan picks until all of your picks are green.

Joules360

Joules360
30 posts
msg #33269
Ignore Joules360
9/16/2004 4:04:23 PM

By the way....how can I backtest this scan? You guys are great...you have already saved me days of reading...hehe...

Thanks!
Joules360

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #33272
Ignore EWZuber
9/16/2004 5:19:53 PM

After running the screen click on 'show results 3 months ago' and change the offset date or you can add this to the screen,
'and date offset is XX'
where XX is the number of days back you want to run the screen. This will tell you how the stock has performed percentage wise over this period of time to the present.

You mentioned the cost associated with your system and i thought I would mention that with an ECN like Interactive Brokers, where I trade, it costs only $1 per 100 shares and $2.50 per 500. So opening and closing a few hundred shares is no big deal.

Joules360
30 posts
msg #33274
Ignore Joules360
9/16/2004 6:18:40 PM

EWZuber:

Thanks again...I guess the back test is not totally accurate because I am active in trading these in and out...If they dont perform..I cut them quick...if they hit 10% in a week or two...I usually sell as soon as I notice a pullback or its at the top of the stochastic and making its turn down...You have to be proactive on these...not like a daytrader...but you dont want those quick gains to slip away ...or losses to become large. The back test is inclusive for the gain or loss for the entire term as a buy and hold it looks like. If I go back say 360 days...this is the return of that stock that met the criteria on that day and the results are the gains and losses over the last 360 days? Correct...I would have dumped them in about 5 to 10 days usually....So maybe a 10 day back test is the only credible way to test this strategy? any other ideas on a test? I am using it live so...the results will be different..and of course my subjecive selling will affect the outcome as well.

I have used Interactive Brokers before...very fast and cost effective for 100 sh lots...The only problem is if you are under $25k accounts..you will be classed a pattern day trader....
I usually use close to my 200 trades up at foliofn. Folio does not allow shorting and they dont have margin...thats probably why they get around the min $25 k rules...
Also one click at yr end and foliofn does your schedule D for you in text format..this is a plus since sometimes I am buying 22.345667 shares of a stock that I have specified $1000 in..also keeps a running total of your gain/loss in your active view since you purchased it....so you can decide to keep it or dump it each time you look into the holdings section.
Its nice...it also keeps my hand off the mouse so I dont shake out of every little move. All the trades also can be done early in the am before work..or late at night after work...the trades are set up in the window and are executed at the nearest time window at 11a...or 2p if you get in an early before market close order. It also has a % cancel order..so if the market tanks or rises more than you specified...the trade is cancelled...so you dont have to worry about buying into an inflated market one morning while you are at work.
The only thing that would be nice with StockFetcher...is like TC2000....I could scan at 1pm with my criteria(TC2000 has an update with 20 min delay all day) and catch these moves early for the 2 pm trade window...and before the next morning pop. The scans only update after the market at this time..but who knows...they may add that feature some day.
Joules360

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Joules360..needs help with Stochastic Slingshot...please...<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.