StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Need help constructing a new volatility filter,please<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
raven4ns
23 posts
msg #33349
Ignore raven4ns
9/22/2004 3:30:05 PM

Hello everyone,
Here is my current filter: show stocks where historical volatility(60,1) is above 40 and price between 20 and 200 and average daily volume (30)is above 500000 . What I need is to have the filter show me those stocks that are at the lower part of their range. It would save me from going through many,many charts. Thank you for any and all help. It is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Tim

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33352
Ignore xplorer
9/22/2004 7:33:32 PM

hmmm ... I threw in a couple of parameters that you can tweek ... I hope I am on the right track what you are looking for.

Here goes :
Fetcher[show stocks where historical volatility(60,1) is above 40
and price between 20 and 200
and average daily volume (30)is above 500000
and RSI(2) is below 35
High is less than 25 percent above the bottom linear regression line(60,1.25)
]

...enjoy !

raven4ns
23 posts
msg #33354
Ignore raven4ns
9/22/2004 7:42:34 PM

Hi Xplorer,
Thank you for your help. What I am trying to do is get high volatility stocks but in their lower range of trading say for past few months. The reason is that I'm restricted to buying stocks and can't go short. It's a restriction on our RRSP"s (your IRA equivalent). So i'm trying to reduce the number of charts I have to look through by tweaking my volatility filter to sort them out somehow. I've tried to write the filter but run into syntax errors and I'm not very computer literate...LOL. Thanks again.

Kindest regards,

Tim

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33355
Ignore xplorer
9/22/2004 8:16:21 PM

Ok ... so you are looking for stock that have large swings (volatile),
and are trending fairly regulary... like a sine wave... and you want
to find the stocks that are finishing the recent down wave ?
... is that correct ? ...the bottom of the wave ?

Well how about adding a negative slope criteria ... like :

Fetcher[show stocks where historical volatility(60,1) is above 40
and RSI(2) is below 35
and High is less than 25 percent above the bottom linear regression line(60,1.25)
and 7 day slope of the close is below 0
]

... of course you may want to tweek those numbers.
or if you can show me a chart that has what you are looking for,
then I can focus in on your search.

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33356
Ignore xplorer
9/22/2004 8:27:48 PM

Fetcher[
show stocks where historical volatility(60,1) is above 40
and RSI(2) is below 35
and High is less than 25 percent above the bottom linear regression line(60,1.25)
and 7 day slope of the close is below 0
and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 30
and offset 0 days
]

raven4ns
23 posts
msg #33357
Ignore raven4ns
9/22/2004 8:51:39 PM

Hi Xplorer,
Truly, thank you for all your effort,you are very kind. Actually, the sine wave idea you mentioned would be perfect. A good trending stock that has a significant range from top to bottom and is currently at or near it's base. I realize that is what everyone wants but I really just need a way of sorting these stocks out so I'm not looking at 200-300 charts a nite. Once I have the filter then I will apply it to the various sectors and select those stocks which meet the criteria. This way I wouldn't be over invested in any one sector of the economy and open to severe sector rotation. After I have the filter and have tested it with my trade set-ups I will gladly share my trade set-ups with you if you want them. I haven't found the Holy Grail just a set-up I feel might work. Thank you again for all your effort Xplorer.

Kindest regards,

Tim

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33358
Ignore xplorer
9/22/2004 9:20:54 PM

I took a look at the results from my last filter post ... and a quick look at the results show 3 that may meet your spec's ??? take a look at the charts of these, and provide you opinion please:

X, MVK, HYSL

I think these look like good trades ... now a little research into what they do ... recent earnings ... analysts opinion ... then a drive to the bank !

Can I assume since you are "riding the wave", you are looking at holding 5 to 10 days ? Lets see how they perform these next few days ....

ciao'

raven4ns
23 posts
msg #33359
Ignore raven4ns
9/22/2004 9:59:48 PM

Hi Xplorer,
I looked at the 3 companies. They are all looking lower for another day or 2. My cci is still pointing down as are my stoch both short and long term. In fact on 2 my long term stoch is just rolling over. They are all off the lower BB so not in any position to be bot...IMHO. I didn't look at the L/T charts to see where they are.

Tim

mistry
11 posts
msg #33360
Ignore mistry
9/23/2004 8:59:47 AM

Hi Raven4ns

I thnk I know what you are looking for now ..
To find the stock at the bottom of the swing you need to look at Bollinger lines. These are one standard deviation away from the stock price, either higher or lower represented by the Upper and lower Bollinger Bands.
When the stock is at the bottom of its range its price should drop below the Bollinger Band, turn and tend to bounce back towards the middle of the bands at some future point. The upper and lower bands are the ranges of the swings.

So you need to add this line ..

Bollinger Oscillator crossed below -100 in last 1 day
and draw Bollinger Bands(20)

This will filter the top picks for you.

mistry
11 posts
msg #33361
Ignore mistry
9/23/2004 9:04:04 AM

The actual filter:

historical volatility(60,1) is above 40 and
price between 20 and 200 and
average daily volume (30)is above 500000
Bollinger Oscillator crossed below -100 in last 1 day
and draw Bollinger Bands(20)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Need help constructing a new volatility filter,please<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.