StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Need suggestion on a quote service<< >>Post Follow-up
mastertrader1
1 posts
msg #33224
Ignore mastertrader1
9/12/2004 12:31:36 PM

Can anyone suggest a live quote service that have advanced email alerts. I need a alerts for a handfull of stocks that I want to receive alerts on when they trade 0.25 or more from the last execution. Also price is a factor since I am not planning to trade from this service. I just need it for raw quotes.

robdavis
69 posts
msg #33228
Ignore robdavis
9/12/2004 9:07:45 PM

Mastertrader1,

I'm not sure what you mean by "live quote service that have advanced email alerts" or "when they trade 0.25 or more from the last execution", but if you mean instant alerts by third parties, then there are many services for FREE (if price is a factor for you).

Possibility #1: Use island.com's instant, real time alerts; no one can beat their FREE and reliable service. Limitations: 1) stock has to trade on Inet, 2) Inet's prices are not always the best market prices, 3) your mobile device has to be up and running, and 4) the company that alerts your mobile device has to be up and running every minute of every single day.

Possibility #2: Use marketwatch.com's instant alerts, no one can beat their FREE and reliable service. Limitations: 1) there is a 15 or 20-minute delay, 2) your mobile device has to be up and running, and 3) the company that alerts your mobile device has to be up and running every minute of the day. Advantages: 1) stock can trade on any of the U.S. markets, and 2) their prices are true market prices.

Possibility #3: Use Quotetracker's instant, real time alerts; no one can beat their FREE and reliable service. Limitations: 1) your PC has to be on and running, 2) your ISP has to be up and running, 3) the stock you want alerts on has to be in your portfolio and the latter is something you cannot change from a remote location, 4) your broker's streaming quotes have to be up and running, 5) QT has an annoying, wide bandwidth, and many distractions, because of their advertising on your computer, and 6) your mobile device has to be up and running, and 7) the company that alerts your mobile device has to be up and running every minute of the day.

There's one important consideration: The more 3rd parties you use, the more likely that one of them will drop the ball, costing you BIG BUCKS. Keep in mind, if you have losses, any losses, no service will pay your losses. Example 1: Island sends an instant alert on time, but your e-mail provider (or mobile device company, or cell phone company) delays the relaying of the alert by 3-4 HOURS. I know you can say, "That kind of ridiculously long delay will never occur on my Palm device, or Verizon cell phone", but, even with the best companies, it can happen to you at any time, even tomorrow.

One solution is planned redundancy; one could use all the above three 3rd parties (i.e. Inet, Marketwatch, QT), PLUS get a pager, and cell phone, Palm device (just in case one or two of them drop the ball), but the market has to be one's life and passion, if one is willing to to spend that money and carry with you all those devices all the time.

I hope this helps.

Rob

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #33233
Ignore EWZuber
9/13/2004 12:20:51 PM

Some brokers, like Interactive Brokers, have audible and visual alarms that are user presettable.
I sometimes watch the market for the first couple hours then set alarms at certain technical support/resistance areas then go back to bed.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Need suggestion on a quote service<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.