StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · New Highs vs. New Lows<< >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #105889
Ignore glgene
4/11/2012 11:06:40 PM

Is there a "New Highs vs. New Lows" calculation capability in Stockfetcher?

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #105894
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
4/12/2012 11:38:00 AM

Yes, the NYSE new highs is here as an index (^HIGN). New lows is ^LOWN.

glgene
613 posts
msg #105916
Ignore glgene
4/14/2012 9:58:38 PM

I guess I am having a senior moment.

I want to show the number of NYSE new highs. I started with this script line, and nothing happens

Symlist(^hign)

I guess I don't know how to show index info. Any help?

What about a 20-day moving average of NYSE new highs; same with NYSE new lows...and a ratio of the two.

??

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #105920
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
4/15/2012 12:04:29 PM

ind(^HIGN,close) should give you the number

Try this

Fetcher[

set{newhighs, ind(^HIGN,close)}
set{newlows, ind(^LOWN,close)}
set{ratio, newhighs / newlows}
set{ratioma, cma(ratio,20)}
add column newhighs
add column newlows
add column ratio
add column ratioma
symlist(SPY)

]

glgene
613 posts
msg #105922
Ignore glgene
4/15/2012 4:51:43 PM

Kevin, I tried your suggestion, and I'm a little confused...

If ^HIGN is the SF-supported index for NYSE "new highs" then how can you run this on Symlist(SPY)?

With your script -- run with end-of-day April 13, 2012 stock prices -- it displays 21 newhighs and 28 newlows....on SPY (a single stock symbol)? Isn't my goal with ^HIGN to get the number of new highs on the NYSE?

Also, I did a 2-year lookback (with the DRAW command), and it never shows a ratio of less than 1. ??

Could use some clarification. Thanks.

FYI: My reference to a 20-day moving average of New Highs-New Lows comes from the book, "All About Market Indicators" by Michael Sincere.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #105924
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
4/15/2012 5:17:26 PM

The new highs and new lows are for the NYSE, not for SPY. Using them in set{} statements turns them into variables that can be plotted regardless of what stock is being displayed.

Try using "draw ratio on plot ratioma". Also consider "new highs - new lows" rather than the ratio, which can be infinite in certain cases.

glgene
613 posts
msg #105926
Ignore glgene
4/15/2012 6:05:13 PM

Kevin,

I'll work on your addt'l recommendations.

Thanks!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · New Highs vs. New Lows<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.