StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · New List of Indices Supported<< >>Post Follow-up
olathegolf
119 posts
msg #155938
Ignore olathegolf
2/24/2021 1:16:01 PM

I noticed a few of my filters using volatility indices no longer worked as written.

I reached out to SF and it appears that volatility indices are no longer supported as of 2021.

Here's a current list.

https://www.stockfetcher.com/help/What-indices-are-available/100229

fotchstecker
304 posts
msg #155998
Ignore fotchstecker
3/2/2021 9:02:12 AM

Thanks for this.
What are you using for vol indexes then?

hairyhead
12 posts
msg #156006
Ignore hairyhead
3/2/2021 8:50:36 PM

VXX ?

Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #156009
Ignore Mactheriverrat
3/2/2021 11:35:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up olathegolf.

fotchstecker
304 posts
msg #156036
Ignore fotchstecker
modified
3/4/2021 6:05:17 PM

VXX isn't an index obviously and the problem with using UVXY or VXX (which are investable whereas obviously the VIX isn't) as a stand-in for VIX index is that when there's high vol, there are many sellers of vol. So whereas VIX will have a significant spike, the vol-related products won't because there are sellers of vol everywhere in the real market. This leads to the downside bias in the ETF that you don't see in the index and in the difference in the magnitude of the spike. What the VIX conveys as an "opportunity" on the chart is therefore not present to the same extent.
Big difference, not substitutable.

https://i.imgur.com/Fl5nrEI.png

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · New List of Indices Supported<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.