StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · OBV crosses.... what is the correct syntax?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
BFreshour
139 posts
msg #39242
Ignore BFreshour
12/1/2005 8:55:23 AM

I've modified them a bit to get rid of those redundant close below lines... there's a simpler way to do it.

Going Short:
Fetcher[/* criteria */
slow stochastic(39,1) fast %K has crossed below 50 in last 1 day
close below weekly close 1 week ago

/* draw */
and draw slow stochastics(39,1)
and draw average obv(30)

/* insert volume/price criteria here */
]

Going Long:
Fetcher[/* criteria */
slow stochastic(39,1) fast %K has crossed above 50 in last 1 day
close above weekly close 1 week ago

/* draw */
and draw slow stochastics(39,1)
and draw average obv(30)

/* insert volume/price criteria here */
]

ImperialWhazoo
26 posts
msg #39250
Ignore ImperialWhazoo
12/1/2005 6:42:10 PM

Well... thanks for the cool ideas but these kind of wander off into other things. Don't get me wrong.... they are cool ideas, but thay are not helpful in regards to my question. I'm still looking for help on it.

My key issue is that, while working on an entirely differrent filter, I just happened upon a pattern that is pretty darn cool.

Here are the two StockFetcher phrases that are at the center of what I observed.

"Slow Stochastic(12) Fast %K crossed above Slow Stochastic(12) Slow %D"
and
"draw OBV(12)"

What I observed was that, when two upward crosses happen on or near the same day, then there is a strong likelihood of a significant uptick in the next few days. I can easily screen for the cross of the two Sto lines using "Slow Stochastic(12) Fast %K crossed above Slow Stochastic(12) Slow %D". What I can't screen for is the cross of the two lines that automatically show up when the OBV indicator is used. I've not found any way to filter for both crosses. So that is my question: can anyboy tell me whether it is even possible to look for the crossing of the two lines that automatically get thrown up when OBV is used in a StockFetcher filter?

An aside, please:
There has been too much focus on the variable I use in my OBV. I happen to use OBV(12). This seems to trouble folks. Fine. Substitute any variable you like. Use the default... (10, if I recall correctly). It just so happens that I settled on using 12 in my Sto & my MA(12) many moons ago, so I use OBV(12) because it keeps the timeframes of the Sto & the OBV symetrical. This is beside the point, though. Regardless of how you employ OBV in your filter, the fact remains that it appears to be 100% impossible to screen for the behavior of the two lines that automatically get thrown up on screen when the OBV indicator is used in a filter. I happen to be looking for upwards crosses. You coud try to look for downward crosses. You could look for changes in the slopes of the lines or for divergences between them. It doesn't matter. Regardless of what you are trying to do, the issue remains the same: How do you screen for the behaviors of the two lines that automatically appear when the OBV indicator is used in a StockFetcher filter? And my goal remains to try to construct a syntactically correct StockFetcher filter that screens for tickers that had both an upward cross on the Sto AND an upward cross on the OBV within a constrained window of time.

Is there anybody out thare who can tell the community haw this is done, if it is even possible to do it?

Thanx etcetera again...
ImperialWhazoo

BFreshour
139 posts
msg #39251
Ignore BFreshour
12/1/2005 7:13:39 PM

If you would have looked closely at my filter, you would have seen the answer to your question. Try this:

Fetcher[slow stochastic(12) fast %K crossed above slow stochastic(12) slow %D
obv(12) crossed above average obv(12)
]

ImperialWhazoo
26 posts
msg #39254
Ignore ImperialWhazoo
12/1/2005 9:06:22 PM

BFreshour

Here's a little ditty I patched together to test your solution & VOILA!! "Its a wonderful thing!!" (as Tommy O'Brien says).

Check this out:

Show stocks where Average Volume(40) is above 300000
/* and price is between .05 and 5.01 */
and close is above MA(40)
and Slow Stochastic(12) Fast %K crossed above Slow Stochastic(12) Slow %D
and Slow Stochastic(12) Slow %D is below 51
and obv(12) crossed above average obv(12)

Now I admit I gave your answer only a cursory glance but there's a darn good reason. The problem was your first line, which read:
"slow stochastic(39,1) fast %K has crossed above 50 in last 1 day"

I read it and decided you didn't understand what I was after. My whole idea involved simultaneous upward crosses, so I quit reading after your first line because, to judge by its content, you were missing my point entirely.

With your last reply, you nailed it because you said
"slow stochastic(12) fast %K crossed above slow stochastic(12) slow %D"

Bingo! We have a Bingo in the back.... the gentleman in the brouwn suit is our Winner! Come on down to the front desk, sir, and pick up your prize. Your our lucky winner!!

And, as I said, I tried it and you nailed it.

Thanx a billion
ImperialWhazoo

Oh, thanx to mehrdad25@sbcglobal.net as well. His answer contained the average OBV syntax as well.

dangreene
229 posts
msg #117665
Ignore dangreene
1/9/2014 5:45:27 PM

POP TO TOP

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #117738
Ignore guru_trader
1/14/2014 12:26:18 PM

Dan, wow, a pop to top from 2005! Are you trading off these filters?

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · OBV crosses.... what is the correct syntax?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.