StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · OVER-REACTION HELP<< >>Post Follow-up
corsino
259 posts
msg #36950
Ignore corsino
7/15/2005 1:40:07 PM

Some of us use filters based on bottom-fishing.We buy stocks because their stock price dropped a certain percentage. At times I do that too, but I also try to find out why it dropped. A lot of times, some of the drop is an over-reaction. I'm trying to create a "rule of thumb" to judge what type of bad news can be reasonably expected to result in a loss percentage. Then anything over that loss percentage might be considered an over-reaction, with a possible price bounce the next day.
As a start, this is my preliminary "rule of thumb" . I would appreciate other people's input.

Bankruptcy Fear :.... 40%
SEC Probe :........''''40%
Medical Test Failure...25%
Being Sued :...........20%
Test Inconclusive :....15%
Bad Earnings Report :..10%
Downgrade :.............5%

I know I missed some factors, and my rough estimates are just a beginning.

BigOh
23 posts
msg #36952
Ignore BigOh
7/15/2005 8:17:56 PM

Earnings, quarterly and yearly probably affect even more. That usually causes the "Big" money to jump ship.
Losing a big contract or deal.
Not winning a lawsuit.
Losing a patent.
Merger called off.
New products from competition.
Leadership of the company leaving, retiring or running away(ENE).

corsino
259 posts
msg #36953
Ignore corsino
7/15/2005 8:38:58 PM

BigOh
Thanks. Could you put your guess on the effect of those events ?

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · OVER-REACTION HELP<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.