StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · One Favorite Indicator<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
mesayah
658 posts
msg #85616
Ignore mesayah
modified
1/6/2010 1:38:23 AM

The best indicator by far is The Pivot Point. In my opinion, it is so precise if used the way i use it. and can even tell you when to get out.

Look at SPY on 11-19 price gaps down from pivot point to support 3, GO LONG then on 11-23 from pivot point to resistance 3, GO SHORT then on 11-27 from pivot point to support 3, GO LONG AND STAY LONG UNTIL NEXT GAP UP!!
All imo... Any comments?

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #85669
Ignore BarTune1
1/6/2010 6:20:00 PM

Kevin,

"Looks like it might be a day or two later in calling an entry for long positions (look at 8/17 and 9/2 as examples), but avoids you getting burned on short calls. All in all, I'd use the BB as an alert, and the advance/decline ratio as a confirmation signal. Also looks like you can stay in the trade a little longer with the A/D ratio versus exiting at the cross of the 5 dayMA"

I agree. I like the BB as an alert and as an overall measure where the market is to guide either long or short entries. I will be following the A/D ratio closely also. There have been a number of times I wish I had stayed in a stock longer.

According to the charts, it appears that there is a higher likelihood of getting burned on short calls. However, as I have said before, I think the VIX signals work better on pullbacks when the market is trending up (i.e., above the 200dma). It is possible that the short signals (and the cross of your A/D indicator below 1) will work better when the market is below the 200 dma.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #85672
Ignore chetron
modified
1/6/2010 7:07:52 PM

sorry, couldn't resist.....

Fetcher[

/* tachikawa */
/* advanced subs */

set{vadv,ind(^advn,close)}
set{vdec,ind(^decn,close)}

Set{vaMA10,CMA(vadv,10)}
set{vaSD,cstddev(vadv,10)}
set{vaSD10,2 * vaSD}
set{vaBOLU,vaMA10 + vaSD10}
set{vaBOLD,vaMA10 - vaSD10}

set{vcar,count(vabold below 0,1)}
set{vcer,vabold 1 day ago}
set{vcir,vabold 2 day ago}
set{vcor,count(vcer below vabold,1)}
set{vcur,count(vcer below vcir,1)}
set{var20,vcor * vcur}
set{var21,var20 * vcar}

Set{vdMA10,CMA(vdec,10)}
set{vdSD,cstddev(vdec,10)}
set{vdSD10,2 * vdSD}
set{vdBOLU,vdMA10 + vdSD10}
set{vdBOLD,vdMA10 - vdSD10}

add column var21

draw vdec
draw vdbold on plot vdec
draw vdbolu on plot vdec
draw vdma10 on plot vdec

draw vadv
draw vabold on plot vadv
draw vabolu on plot vadv
draw vama10 on plot vadv
draw vdec on plot vadv

var21 crossed above .5 within last 100 day
close above .1
volume above 10000

]

crankiin'.....

Fetcher[

/* tachikawa */

/* advanced subs */

set{vadv,ind(^advn,close)}
set{vdec,ind(^decn,close)}

draw vdec on plot vadv

Set{vaMA10,CMA(vadv,10)}
set{vaSD,cstddev(vadv,10)}
set{vaSD10,2 * vaSD}
set{vaBOLU,vaMA10 + vaSD10}
set{vaBOLD,vaMA10 - vaSD10}

set{vcar,count(vabold below 0,1)}
set{vcer,vabold 1 day ago}
set{vcir,vabold 2 day ago}
set{vcor,count(vcer below vabold,1)}
set{vcur,count(vcer below vcir,1)}
set{var20,vcor * vcur}
set{var21,var20 * vcar}

Set{vdMA10,CMA(vdec,10)}
set{vdSD,cstddev(vdec,10)}
set{vdSD10,2 * vdSD}
set{vdBOLU,vdMA10 + vdSD10}
set{vdBOLD,vdMA10 - vdSD10}

add column var21

vdma10 above vama10
vdec crossed below vdma

draw vdec
draw vdbold on plot vdec
draw vdbolu on plot vdec
draw vdma10 on plot vdec

draw vadv
draw vabold on plot vadv
draw vabolu on plot vadv
draw vama10 on plot vadv

]

duke56468
683 posts
msg #85677
Ignore duke56468
1/6/2010 9:25:55 PM

For those of us without the advanced subscription, what parts of the filter make sense for us to edit so it doesn't "exceed performance restrictions"?

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #85680
Ignore chetron
1/6/2010 9:45:55 PM

sorry, because each custom variable uses the previous, there is nothing i can manipulate to make it basic.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · One Favorite Indicator<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.