StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Question for TheRumpledOne<< >>Post Follow-up
xplayerx22
2 posts
msg #35861
Ignore xplayerx22
5/2/2005 8:14:46 PM

hey i just joined stockfetcher and still trying to feel my way around....read some of you post and you seem pretty knowledgeable, wondering if you could help a newbie out.....i did a screen for --- Momentum(28) crossed above MA(28)--- and it works out ok... havent back tested it yet because i dont know how...but heres the problem im having....sometimes it gives me a stock where the momentum has crossed the MA a day before...now in order for this to work as everyone knows timing is crucial...wondering if you have any suggestions....run the screen hopefully you read this soon.....ATCT one of the stocks i got....the chart shows it crossed on friday...i would have hoped to buy it today and sell and end of day..for a 50% gain...but it came out a day late...any other screens you can suggest and any helpful tidbits you can give me would be greatly appreciated
PLAYER

cegis
235 posts
msg #35877
Ignore cegis
5/3/2005 4:20:43 PM

Player,

Hope you don't mind me butting in here, but may I make some suggestions?

- I think you will find that there are A LOT of pretty knowledgeable people lurking around these forums, most are more than willing to help. Yes, TheRumpledOne is one of them. However, if you just ask your question without directing it to someone specific, I think you'll find you get a lot of ideas from a lot of people. And you wont be waiting for someone to get around to reading and posting.

- Whenever you can't figure out why a filter is behaving as you think it should, it usually is *not* a problem with the filter <grin>. I run into this all of the time myself. I have found that using the "add column" phrase will show me the values that SF is using, which almost always leads to the answer to the "why?" question. For your filter, if you ADD COLUMN MOMENTUM(28) 2 DAYS AGO (running today before market closes) and ADD COLUMN MA(28) 2 days ago, you will see that the momentum has not actually crossed ma as of market close last Friday for ATCT (momentum is 0.0054, and ma is 0.0067), it just looks that way on the chart because the values are so close.

HTH,

C

mktmole
325 posts
msg #35889
Ignore mktmole
5/4/2005 10:58:07 AM

Cegis; great tip, thanks

xplayerx22
2 posts
msg #35910
Ignore xplayerx22
5/5/2005 5:10:33 PM

thanx cegis ill try that

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #35929
Ignore TheRumpledOne
5/7/2005 2:57:29 PM

THANKS CEGIS!

cegis
235 posts
msg #35936
Ignore cegis
5/8/2005 3:59:59 PM

My pleasure, guys!

:-)

C

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #35999
Ignore TheRumpledOne
5/13/2005 11:22:30 PM

You wrote...

"hey i just joined stockfetcher and still trying to feel my way around....read some of you post and you seem pretty knowledgeable, wondering if you could help a newbie out.....i did a screen for --- Momentum(28) crossed above MA(28)--- "

XPlayer...

You are comparing a lower indicator, Momentum, with an upper indicator, Moving Average!

Perhaps you meant:

Fetcher[
MOMENTUM(28) CROSSED ABOVE CMA(MOMENTUM(28),28)
add column MOMENTUM(28)
add column CMA(MOMENTUM(28),28) {Avg28}
close above 1
volume above 1000000
sort column 4 descending
]

This shows stocks where the momentum line crossed above its 28 day moving average.

You may want to experiment with the average.

As always, use your own price and volume criteria.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Question for TheRumpledOne<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.