StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · RSI(2) Equation<< >>Post Follow-up
jamboree
3 posts
msg #36899
Ignore jamboree
7/13/2005 11:44:54 AM

I'm trying to validate the equation for RSI(2), but it looks like i'm getting more RSI=0 than SF is actually presenting...
In other words, whenever 2 consecutive days are up, my average loss (RS denominator) is 0...looking at the RSI formula below:
100-(100/(1+RS))
RS = Avg Gain/Avg Loss
Am I forgetting something? Isn't it correct to assume that 2 days up in a row automatically represent an Avg Loss = 0, therefore, RS =0, bringing the RSI formula to:
100-100 = 0...
Any help is more than appreciated...
Thanks...

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #36904
Ignore jclaffee
7/13/2005 12:57:29 PM

jamboree. . .

If your average loss is zero, then RS becomes undefinably large as does
(1 + RS). . .[100/(1 + RS)] approaches zero and RSI approaches 100.

The RSI(2) < 1 approach is a bottom-fishing reversal system and wallman's original work required three down days with one of those at high (capitulation)volume to trigger.

Check it out in the archives "bollinger bands".

Jim

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #36905
Ignore jclaffee
7/13/2005 12:59:51 PM

A senior moment here!!

I'm fully aware that Holy Grail is the originator of the RSI(2) < 1 technique and I must be going round the corner (as my wife has charged for some time)!

Jim

jamboree
3 posts
msg #36907
Ignore jamboree
7/13/2005 4:02:54 PM

thanks jclaffee!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · RSI(2) Equation<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.