StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Ranking stocks in an index<< >>Post Follow-up
evo34
82 posts
msg #104512
Ignore evo34
1/19/2012 1:39:25 AM

Is there any way to buy the worst-performing x% of stocks in an index? Say I wanted to buy on close the 25 worst intraday (open to close) performers in the S&P 500. Is this doable in StockFetcher?

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #104521
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/19/2012 11:25:41 AM

I think all you would need to do for that specific request is something like this:

Fetcher[
market is S&P 500
sort on column 3 ascending
]

Just buy the top of the list.

For intraday (open to close) just do this:

Fetcher[
set{performance, open - close}

market is S&P 500
add column performance
sort on column 5 ascending
]

evo34
82 posts
msg #104529
Ignore evo34
1/19/2012 2:47:07 PM

Sorry, I was a little unclear. I meant for a filter/backtest, how would one specify entry when a stock intraday perf. is in the bottom x% of all stocks in a given index.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #104531
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/19/2012 4:21:49 PM

For the S&P 500, just set your maximum positions to 50 and rank them as I showed above. That will automatically select the bottom 10%.

More importantly, what is your exit? Entries yield only risk - exits are what yield return.

evo34
82 posts
msg #104533
Ignore evo34
1/19/2012 7:40:46 PM

Ah, thanks. I forgot you could have the backtest select by ranking. Although, I just realized taht SF doesn;t allow you to enter at the current close. My intent was to estimate past results of a strategy that would screen for intraday performance at, say, 3:58 pm and then enter at the close price. I may have to set this up in Excel instead.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Ranking stocks in an index<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.