StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Rolling Stock fetchers<< >>Post Follow-up
Hookem
5 posts
msg #76932
Ignore Hookem
modified
7/28/2009 6:46:17 PM

There have been a few discussions on the forums about these types of stocks over the last couple of years. I have probably test driven all of them at one point or another. Some find them better than others.However even though there are usually suggestions, I've never seen a discussion from people who like to find these types of stocks discuss which ones they like best.

SF does a really good job of having OOTB searches that analyze all kinds of channels. However I've been looking at these again and would like to combine the channel searches with an oscillator of some type or another. In other words, they need to trade in a channel, but also need to have completed 2 or 3 complete cycles.

This one is my favorite so far that just looks at channel activity:

Close is near the bottom linear regression line(100,0.7)
Price is between $1 and $10
Chart type is OHLC

That gives a nice clean graph to spot cycles. Sometimes I plot EMA(5) to highlight the activity.

However on top of this I'd like to somehow know if the curve has hit the channels on both sides at least 2 or 3 times, ping ponging off both sides alternatively. I set the channel width at .7 which (if I understand it correctly) should have the chart cross if it gets within 30% of the original channel width. So it can either cross the channel or have the original channel width and check for proximity. How can I add this check on top of the main search?

Thanks

Hookem
5 posts
msg #77027
Ignore Hookem
7/30/2009 10:42:37 PM

So, is this even possible? I can't find any functions that allow me to keep track of the number of times a stock hits a certain spot, either up or down.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #77028
Ignore chetron
modified
7/31/2009 6:42:19 AM

YOU CAN USE THE COUNT FUNCTION, BUT TIMING WOULD BE A CRAP SHOOT.......

Fetcher[
SET{VHI,COUNT(HIGH CROSSED ABOVE TOP LINEAR REGRESSION LINE(100,0.7),100)}
SET{VLO,COUNT(LOW CROSSED BELOW BOTTOM LINEAR REGRESSION LINE(100,0.7),100)}

SET{VAR1,VHI + VLO}
DRAW VLO ON PLOT VHI

ADD COLUMN VHI
ADD COLUMN VLO

VAR1 ABOVE 1.5
DO NOT DRAW VAR1

Price is between 1 and 10
Chart type is OHLC
CHART-TIME 6 MONTH

]

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #77030
Ignore chetron
7/31/2009 6:56:52 AM

OR EVEN CROSSING THE MID IS SINOIDAL.....

Fetcher[
SET{VHI,COUNT(HIGH CROSSED ABOVE LINEAR REGRESSION(100,0.7),100)}
SET{VLO,COUNT(LOW CROSSED BELOW LINEAR REGRESSION LINE(100,0.7),100)}

SET{VAR1,VHI + VLO}
DRAW VLO ON PLOT VHI

ADD COLUMN VHI
ADD COLUMN VLO

VAR1 ABOVE 1.5
DO NOT DRAW VAR1

Price is between 1 and 10
Chart type is OHLC
CHART-TIME 6 MONTH

]

Hookem
5 posts
msg #77089
Ignore Hookem
7/31/2009 2:54:02 PM

That works very nicely...Thanks!

The cool thing is you can adjust it based on the degree of accuracy you want, or number of times the stock has crossed the thresholds to keep narrowing it down to stocks that have completed a higher number of cycles.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Rolling Stock fetchers<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.