StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Scanning INtraday moving average cross overs<< >>Post Follow-up
mhashe
13 posts
msg #33170
Ignore mhashe
9/7/2004 9:52:13 PM

How would I scan for a sma(1) crossed above sma(2) within the past 5 days in a 20 day 20 min timeframe.

Is this possible with the current stockfetcher?

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #33175
Ignore kgriffen
9/8/2004 3:13:29 AM

There is no intraday data on SF.

-kg

robdavis
69 posts
msg #33179
Ignore robdavis
9/8/2004 12:14:43 PM

Mhashe,

As always, there is a way. I would take a 2-step approach. I'd do it in two steps. First, I'd use SF to obtain EOD data, to find stocks that meet your criteria, and second, i.e. next, once I have a short list (of stocks), I'd go to Prophet.net and use their 20-minute intraday charts on stocks your SF filter has selected.

I hope this helps.

Rob

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #33187
Ignore alf44
9/8/2004 7:20:06 PM

mhashe,

you asked...

"How would I scan for a sma(1) crossed above sma(2) within the past 5 days in a 20 day 20 min timeframe.

Is this possible with the current stockfetcher?"

--------------------------------------

If you're asking...can you scan for intra-day MA crossovers per se then the answer is NO !

If you're asking...can you somehow convert Daily timeframes and MA periods to approximate the intra-day 20min. timeframe the answer is YES...sort of ! :)

First...to convert MA periods between timeframes you need to know what MA period you are trying to convert from...and...what timeframes...in your case a "20 minute timeframe" to a Daily timeframe. (if I understand you correctly)

Next, you need to know how many of those periods makeup the period/timeframe you are trying to convert from.

That is...how many 20 min. periods make up 1 trading day.

Well, there are 390 mins. (6.5hrs. X 60mins. = 390) in a trading day !

So...there are then 19.5 "20min. periods" (390min./20min. = 19.5) in a trading day !

Now...if you want to convert a Daily timeframe (390mins.) into a 20 min. timeframe both time frames need to be expressed in minutes.

Example:

20min. / 390min. = .05128

...if you multiply .05128 times the Moving Average length you are trying to convert...(ie. from a 20 min. timeframe to a Daily timeframe)...you will get the Daily timeframe equivalent of the 20 min. timeframe MA.

Keep in mind, you can't display anything less than a 1 period MA on a Daily chart and you can't display fractions of a day...DUH ! :)

So...

20min./390min. = .05128

.05128 X 20 period MA = 1.0256MA (on a Daily Chart to equal a 20MA on a 20min. Chart)

in other words...

A 1 period MA on a Daily would "approximate" a 20 period MA on a 20 min. chart!
A 2 period MA on a Daily would "approximate" a 40 period MA on a 20 min. chart!
A 3 period MA on a Daily would "approximate" a 60 period MA on a 20 min. chart!

--------------------------------------------------

To then scan for stocks whose MA(20) had crossed above their MA(40) on a 20 minute timeframe in the last 5 days...AND to do that within a Daily timeframe...would require you to look for Daily MA(1) crossed above Daily MA(2) occurrences.

Fetcher[Show all stocks where MA(1) crossed above MA(2) within the last 5 days]

Hope this helps !

alf44 :8^)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Scanning INtraday moving average cross overs<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.