StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Scripting/Coding the data<< >>Post Follow-up
flash704
8 posts
msg #159406
Ignore flash704
8/6/2022 9:13:04 AM

Hello All -

It has been awhile since I have done any type of programming and even when I did my skills were pretty limited. I was wondering what type of skills would be best to learn to further develop my ability to get the data I want to get. More specifically, would it be SQL, Perl, C, Excel or Python? What technical toolbox does everyone have that allows them to get the right triggers/scans? Thank you...

Flash

xarlor
562 posts
msg #159407
Ignore xarlor
8/6/2022 9:56:08 AM

SF code is very rudimentary. Far less sophisticated than any of the ones you mentioned. If you wanted to compare it to an existing language, Pine would be the closest. But even Pine has the ability to do loops, functions, and unrestricted variable storage/recall. SF does not have these and limits use of more advanced indicators and ideas.

If you want to learn how to write your own filters in SF:

• Read the User Guide from start to finish.
  • Study filters written by others through forum searches.
  • When you have a basic grasp, try to write your own and if it doesn't work, post on here with what you're trying to accomplish and the code you have so far.

That will get you to a point where you can start cranking out your own ideas. Sharing helps everyone as others will offer ideas you may not have thought of.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #159409
Ignore nibor100
8/6/2022 7:06:16 PM

Some other tips for learning SF code, that helped me a lot when I was beginning:

a. Look at the Examples that SF provides on its web page and even more Examples exist in the SF app on IOS.

b. for every variable you use in new code write an add column statement that shows that variable's values when the scan is run.

c. As a follow on to b. above, add additional add columns for 1 day ago, 2 days ago etc. in situations where the past is important to the scan so you can see what SF is actually retrieving.

d. freely use /* */ to comment out sections of your work in process code to hone in on problem lines.

Ed S.

flash704
8 posts
msg #159411
Ignore flash704
8/7/2022 10:40:30 AM

Good stuff, thx. I will follow the advice.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Scripting/Coding the data<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.