StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Short vrs Long<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
StJoe
91 posts
msg #69055
Ignore StJoe
11/6/2008 10:54:00 AM

Short verse Long

It seams more daytraders perfer shorting rather than long. It that the case?

Is it easier to profit from shorting than long?

I have never shorted...yet.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #69056
Ignore chetron
11/6/2008 11:13:45 AM

I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS A PREFERENCE AS MUCH AS IT IS THE TREND WE ARE IN.

heypa
283 posts
msg #69059
Ignore heypa
11/6/2008 11:47:16 AM

Down trends are normally steeper than up trends. Especially with the long trend like now. You have only to look at a bunch of 1 year charts to see for yourself. You seem to be looking for a short cut. There is no substitute for screen time.

StJoe
91 posts
msg #69060
Ignore StJoe
11/6/2008 11:48:52 AM

I dont know if a short cut is what I am looking for. I am just tring to learn as much as I can. It seemed like there is much more shorting then long. thans all.

thanks guys

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #69061
Ignore luc1grunt
11/6/2008 12:18:58 PM

over 65% of my intra-day trades are short. Those trades are 32% more profitable than the long trades....reason is the speed of the drop (reduced chop) and magnitude once a support level is breached. Those are stats of my trades collected over the past few years on those short duration (1 to 15 minute trades)....and include the bull periods of djia hitting 14k.

No preference long or short overall, just trade the setup.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #69074
Ignore miketranz
11/6/2008 10:49:06 PM

Markets drop faster than they rise in general.You will also need a margin acct to short.If you want to test your skills at shorting without a margin acct,trade the QID,which is 2x the inverse of the QQQQ tech ETF.A word of warning,don't take your eyes off the screen.This baby can cover ground very rapidly.You don't want to be caught on the wrong side.Watch it intra day to see how it moves.Good luck....

jimhbutton
104 posts
msg #69108
Ignore jimhbutton
11/8/2008 11:55:02 AM

I short intraday with Interactive Brokers (who provide a phenomenal number of shortable stocks). I never leave the screen while in the trade because these babies can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

arby347
87 posts
msg #69114
Ignore arby347
11/8/2008 7:51:50 PM

Has anybody been trading straddles?-on index based options or individual stocks? It seems the premiums have increased with the volatility. I am curious if anybody is making money playing oth sides at the same time? i so, how are they playing it?

StJoe
91 posts
msg #69126
Ignore StJoe
modified
11/9/2008 4:40:44 PM

miketranz
- Ignore miketranz 11/6/2008 10:49:06 PM

Markets drop faster than they rise in general.You will also need a margin acct to short.If you want to test your skills at shorting without a margin acct,trade the QID,which is 2x the inverse of the QQQQ tech ETF.A word of warning,don't take your eyes off the screen.This baby can cover ground very rapidly.You don't want to be caught on the wrong side.Watch it intra day to see how it moves.Good luck....

Thank you very much Mike!

I have two accounts with Scottrade. I started both account with $1000. the first one is at about $615. Then I opened the second an that is now at $1100.

I have been using RFR filters. ie, RDN - SCA - ABK

I have been day or swing trading for just a few months now, learning from what I have read from SF as a friend turned me on to this sight.

With Scottrade I need $2000 in my account to open margin. I thought I would earn and educate my way up to $2000 to qualify for the margin account. I dont plan to use leverage but have access to 3 round trips with in a 5 day period and not have to wait the 3 days to trade again.

What is intra day ? And any other advise would be great!

tia

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #69127
Ignore chetron
modified
11/9/2008 5:23:04 PM

INTRA DAY = INTRADAY = USUALLY 9:30 TO 4:00 DATA.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Short vrs Long<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.