StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Software and trading accounts<< >>Post Follow-up
Rutledge
1 posts
msg #59389
Ignore Rutledge
1/30/2008 10:47:55 AM

Hello all terrific site.!!!..lots to learn.......My question deals with software options and account options.? I have a cousin in N.Y. who hooked me up with AVATAR.. which is a branch of the much larger ASSENT.

I use a pogram called ANVIL to execute orders. I have deposited 20,000.00 into their account and began trading..DEC 3rd .....they have account restrictions of 500 shares per order max and a trading max of $ 100,000 dollars ( presumably ) 5-to-1 ratio. I pay about .06 cents per 1000 shares traded plus ecn charges etc.

They have a good support staff that knows the software and can make recomedations, but they do not always send through updates and we had problems getting things working with Windows Vista.

I have had mostly down days by not exiting my positions when the trades went against me. I have had some excellent days when money was made but I find that learning the soft ware and watching the screens and looking at the charts requires concentration and skill that I currently do not poses.

I really like this StockerFetcher site and I have found many excellent posts, I have copied over many of the THERumpledOne's filters and visit muddys chat room ....but so far I have not figured out how to trade the results of the filters.

The partners of the AVATAR company keep calling my cousin to suggest that they want to shut me down and close the account. And this pisses me off a bit. My biggest down day would be about 1600.00 and my biggest up day would be about 1400.00. On average I am down about 300.00 to 700.00 or up the same amount. According to my cousin they "" DO NOT LIKE TO SEE BIG DOWN DAYS "

Well I have news for them ... I do not like it either... I am not losing their money but they call to often and cry about the loss I checked my account and since the beginning Dec 3rd I have traded 255,000 shares and paid out about 2200.00 in fees and commission....

So thats the History ... what I would like to know from other traders out there is what other options for good software/platforms might be available and where I might be able to go and open an account that would provide me with similar or better leverage.????

Your thoughts, expressions and concerns will be greatly apreciated...

Albert

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #59401
Ignore nikoschopen
1/30/2008 5:23:57 PM

Personally, I don't think its anyone's business whether you make or lose a fortune. Moreover, why does ure broker only allow you to trade 500 shares? Even if you were trading on margin, it's a bit silly to impose trading restriction based on how much a trader might lose.

I say, dump ure current broker and go with either Interactive Brokers (IB) or TradeStation. As direct-access trading brokers, they both charge 1¢ for the first 500 shares and 0.5¢ thereafter. Other than the crappy charts, IB provides excellent service that integrates stock, options and futures under one account. TradeStation provides a various bells and whistles for free if ure able to generate more than the nominal monthly fee they otherwise charge their most stingy traders.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #59402
Ignore nikoschopen
1/30/2008 5:36:22 PM

Quote from Rutledge:

My biggest down day would be about 1600.00 and my biggest up day would be about 1400.00. On average I am down about 300.00 to 700.00 or up the same amount. According to my cousin they "" DO NOT LIKE TO SEE BIG DOWN DAYS "

I think this comment alone belongs to our joke thread. Ure broker considers $1400 as BIG drawdown? That really is a joke. I personally know someone who lost more than ten times that amount in one trade (whom I won't name, ahem)!

mimi
63 posts
msg #59491
Ignore mimi
2/6/2008 1:56:56 AM

niko...you have bitter mouth.....but I must agree every thing you wote about this. -$1400 is not big drow down.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #59506
Ignore nikoschopen
2/6/2008 12:23:13 PM

Sorry, my coarse palate was largely meant for the broker and not necessarily the poster, although I believe $1,600 drawdown for a $20,000 account does merit my wrath.

dkatz
64 posts
msg #59512
Ignore dkatz
2/6/2008 8:55:48 PM

i second the interactive brokers suggestion ... just switched from mb trading and have had NO data issues ... also switched from prophet.net to medved's quotetracker charts, SOOOO much better it's scary ... IB vs MB Trading: commissions at mbtrading on Monday for me would have been over $200, a real problem since I only made $170 on the day, with IB i bagged a a $155 profit, would have lost money if still with MB ... data issues galore with prophet.net, no news to anyone who has used them ... same issue with MB, constantly losing connection to order server ... very happy with interactive brokers, very quick/fair executions to boot

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Software and trading accounts<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.