StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Swing trading Filter<< >>Post Follow-up
mattman
18 posts
msg #32704
Ignore mattman
7/29/2004 12:18:00 PM

I would like some help on creating a swing trading filter. I would like to find stock trading between 20 and 50 dollars and average volume above 500000. I only like to hold them for 1-3 days, I trade long or short so it doesn't matter which way the stock is going.

Thanks!

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #32707
Ignore kgriffen
7/29/2004 4:05:45 PM

Try this:

fethcer[show stocks where close is above open ema(14) reached a new 10 day low 1 day ago and ema(14) is above ema(14) 1 day ago and mfi(15) is below 50 and add column mfi(15) set{bolw, upper bollinger band-lower bollinger band}
and add column bolw and apply to watchlist(sp100)]

This filter I use to trade only S&P100 stocks (I created a watchlist for sp100 stocks), you can change it to meet your volume or price needs. What it looks for is the first white candle after at least 10 days of declining ema(14) (the prevailing trend) AND and a shift from declining EMA to Rising EMA, hopefully indicating a shift in trend.

So first, identify the trend (you don't want stocks that are trending down or sideways, unless you reverse the filter to find shorts.)

Second, always trade in the direction of Mother Market. Since this is designed to trade the S&P100, looking at the main index's (Symbol:OEX) EMA(14) will give you the general direction of the market. If it is going down, then consider reversing this filter (first black candle after 10 increase in EMA(14)).

Third, write down the high and low of the day for that stock. This is tommorrow's entry (high) and stop loss (low). Do dot buy the stock unless is crosses above yesterday's high, and stay's above it past 8:30am EST.

Good luck!

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #32708
Ignore kgriffen
7/29/2004 4:06:19 PM

oops. that is:

Fetcher[show stocks where close is above open ema(14) reached a new 10 day low 1 day ago and ema(14) is above ema(14) 1 day ago and mfi(15) is below 50 and add column mfi(15) set{bolw, upper bollinger band-lower bollinger band}
and add column bolw and apply to watchlist(sp100)
]

oldsmar52
104 posts
msg #41087
Ignore oldsmar52
2/8/2006 8:14:42 AM

This is for kgriffen if he's still around: I've been papertrading this filter's picks and like it but this question about your entry. You say "don't buy the stock unless it crosses above yesterday's high, and stays above it past 8:30amEST." Is that 8:30amEST a typo, or could you explain it a bit if its not?
Thanks, Frank

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Swing trading Filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.