StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · The 5% Club<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
trendscanner
265 posts
msg #85365
Ignore trendscanner
12/31/2009 8:29:59 PM

This may sound strange but I've created filters that hugely underperform the market (lose big money) regardless of whether I backtest them as short or long filters. So you can't simply assume that a filter that loses money when backtested on the long side will necessarily make money on the short side or vice versa.

That said, almost any filter can make money on some stocks some of the time - momentum filters make money on stocks where momentum keeps going but lose money on stocks that reverse; vice versa for reversal filters. It's impossible to tell just from looking at filter results which stocks are going to behave as you expect them to with 100% accuracy.

I think the biggest differentiator for the 5% who survive as traders is their money management discipline, rather than the filters they use. A trader can make be successful even if more than 50% of their trades are losers as long as they implement a strict stop loss policy.

Best wishes to all for a healthy and prosperous 2010.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #85372
Ignore miketranz
1/1/2010 11:40:29 AM

I'm a firm believer in money management.Filters,charts,back testing are only tools that print past history,with hopes of predicting the future.No one knows what direction the markets are headed.However,the best trade set ups I've found,are fading popular beliefs,even going against everything you ever learned about trading.One example is how non-sustainable price moves,always set up moves in the opposite direction.Greed always turns into fear & the opposite is true.If you want to become a successful trader,rewire your beliefs,trade what works for you,through your own experiences in the market........

sboren
9 posts
msg #85544
Ignore sboren
1/4/2010 10:59:38 PM

I've seen massive returns on short backtests. Beware! Make sure you are filtering stocks that can be short sold. My backtest numbers were nice but not in reality due to the inability to short the stocks in the filter.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · The 5% Club<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.