StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Thinkorswim as a back-testing tool<< >>Post Follow-up
guspenskiy13
976 posts
msg #120527
Ignore guspenskiy13
6/8/2014 7:09:42 PM

Well, it's not really a "back-test" - as I and most people see it, back-test is a test on historical data for 3-5-10 years on multiple securities.

However, this can give you a valuable insight - and it is also unique in some way - because you can choose any time-frame you want.

Have you ever thought about the length of an indicator that you use? In terms of how effective it is?

What made you pick one length of EMA over another? One length of stochastics over another?

In past, I usually played with indicator's length and looked at the past performance....eye-balled the best length...

Well, Thinkorswim has "STRATEGIES" tab...where you can make your own strategy with a decent amount of the most popular indicators..

And then you can look at the theoretical P/L - for any period from 10 days to years, depends on the time-frame you use.

The cool feature is that you can pick any time-frame you want - very few back-testers can do that, they usually do daily values.... which is less suitable for day-trading.

Sometimes couple points in length can make a difference...

I am not saying that it's going to give you the most effective values - however, if the P/L is red - you have to think about the tools and its lengths that you use.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

guspenskiy13
976 posts
msg #120528
Ignore guspenskiy13
6/8/2014 7:19:09 PM

One drawback of this tool - instead of showing you the total percentage gain, it shows you the dollar gain. It uses same share amount each time. This makes it a bit harder to calculate the real profit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here I have TNA with a simple moving average strategy. It generated $9381.7 over the course of 10 days.

We used position size of 1000, and average price of TNA during this time was $70.995.

On average, this moving average strategy has made 13.2% in 10 days.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Thinkorswim as a back-testing tool<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.