StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · TradeStation Real Time - easy to use?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
scvidar
87 posts
msg #35541
Ignore scvidar
4/7/2005 8:17:14 PM

I just have a general question as to how easy it is to learn to use TradeStation RT with RadarScreen. Any help would be appreciated as it is VERY expensive to buy.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #35542
Ignore TheRumpledOne
4/7/2005 9:12:17 PM

It's not expensive... you get what you pay for.

In one day, it can pay for the entire year!

IF YOU THINK EDUCATION IS EXPENSIVE, TRY IGNORANCE.

scvidar
87 posts
msg #35551
Ignore scvidar
4/8/2005 7:13:34 PM

Oh rumpled one, the main question was how easy it was to learn to use, not so much the cost of it. I agree you get what you pay for, but it doesn't do you any good if the software is to damn difficult to figure out how to use.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #35558
Ignore TheRumpledOne
4/9/2005 12:28:17 PM

What is easy?

I have run into many anomalies(difficulties) but that's not stopping me.

There's always going to be a learning curve.

scvidar
87 posts
msg #35559
Ignore scvidar
4/9/2005 3:50:45 PM

Your response brings back the good ole bad old days while attended University during the days of Liberals so full themselves. Being on the west coast I usually try to help someone when they ask for my help rather than ask questions as to why is the sky blue? You might consider running for politics, answering a question with a question.It brings back the memories of David Caine in Kung Fuey, asking deep philosophical questions.

Having spent 35 years attaining higher education and 25 years following the craft of technical analysis, I also have not let difficulties stop me. I remember a response of yours sometime back that you weren't a programmer, thus while your response into how easy Tradestation is to use would be nice, I won't lose any sleep over it if you are incapable of expressing yourself in an intelligent way.

Again, for anyone out there who actually uses Tradestation, how did you find the software. What was the learning curve like? How long did it take for you to feel comfortable using it? Is the customer service good? How is the help desk? I liken it to buying a car, you don't just go out and buy the first one that comes. One should ask questions from hopefully intelligent people who have owned what your interested in, look at opinions from user groups and make a decision as to buy or not.

Live long and Prosper, life is to short.

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #35563
Ignore Koronbock
4/10/2005 5:12:23 AM

Scvidar,
while I think your question about TRADESTATION is a legitimate and worthwhile one, you may have overblown your criticism of the RUMP a little. He is actually one of the more helpfule people around and has made countless contributions to the Muddy method. Sometimes he can be a little abrupt but usually does ansewr questions in an acceptable way and he has mellowed in the last months, I believe. Do not forget: There are MANYY beginners on this board and it is quite boring and sometimes annoying for an experienced expert trader (RUMP) to answer some questions over and over again ("What is your best filter")?

As for TRADESTATION, yes, I would also like to know a bit more along the questions you have asked.

Cheers and good trading

sbeckers
22 posts
msg #35617
Ignore sbeckers
4/15/2005 3:59:30 PM

Tradestation is easy to use and many bells and whistles - you wont use them all. You probably don't need tradestation, unless you are a real junkie (like me). If you are into the programming thing, it is good. But so is stockfetcher (and cheaper). Also radarscreen is not a scanner - you have to put up all of your symbols and then run alerts. If you are not into writing code, etc. (easylanguage is pretty easy), or need something very specific you can't find elsewhere, I wouldn't bother with tradestation. Neoticker is one I have looked at which is less expensive and has more features..

scvidar
87 posts
msg #35627
Ignore scvidar
4/16/2005 6:10:58 PM

Thanks for your input. I wasn't really critical of RUMP, but he presumes I am a beginner at this and I have been doing it for probably longer than him. I asked a simple question which only needed a fairly simple answer as I mentioned. Maybe I've become a little cranky over the years, but I value straight answers short and simple.

I think my questions were relevant as to the purchase of what I consider expensive software. I wasn't asking for his trade secrets, I don't need them. Just asking questions about ease of use for TradeStation thats all. How steep of a learning curve for a beginner programmer. That type of thing.

As a Engineer, I get probably 5-10 complex software systems thrown at me yearly. I don't consider myself any brighter than anyone else, but I could give them a pretty truthfull and simple answer as to how difficult something is to use.

I will look at Neoticker to see if it has the features I am looking for. In the end I will probably purchase Trade Station however.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #35635
Ignore TheRumpledOne
4/17/2005 12:56:54 AM

scvidar:

1) I didn't assume you were a beginner.

2) I am (was) a programmer.. b.s. in computer science... So I don't know who/what gave you the impression I wasn't!

3) What is easy? That's a valid question.

4) I loved KUNG FU! LOL

5) "IF YOU WANT A BETTER ANSWER, ASK A BETTER QUESTION" - Anthony Robbins

I have run into many "walls" at TradeStation but I have received excellent support. I wouldn't be so far along without it.

But there are so many nuaunces... for example, on the old release OPEND(0) didn't always provide the true opening price.. sometimes a Form T trade would sneak in and RUIN EVERYTHING for the whole day in a automated strategy.

If you don't need direct access and are not a daytrader, you don't need it unless you want to run reports based on frequencies less than a day. I wrote what I call my 60 minute report. I run SF and get my list of stocks and downloaded into Excel, which I copy/paste into a TradeStation Radar screen, which is linked to a 60 minute chart windows which run my report. Simple! LOL!
BUT THE REPORT IS VERY PROFITABLE!

And I don't find it to be expensive... a few GOOG trades and it pays for the entire year!

In fact, I was working on an entry/exit trigger indicator the past few days. Trading GOOG friday, I had 90% winnning trades. All I do is stare at the screen... when the price turns blue, I go long, if red, I go short. I take profit when I can. All my daytrading "rules" are built into the indicator. I don't have to "think"... just react. Once completed and tested, it will be another automated strategy in my arsenal.

scvidar
87 posts
msg #35637
Ignore scvidar
4/17/2005 11:05:41 AM

Thanks, Rumple, that was fairly short and did provide some good feedback. Sorry if I came across cranky, but it seems the older I get the shorter my time is on this beautiful earth, and my ability to wade through long dissertations drops rapidly.

It would be nice if SF went realtime with audible alerts given to our watch lists, and maybe even something like an autofill to place orders with different brokerage houses. SF really has some fantastic abilities if they would just take it to the next level.

By the way, my all time favorite song is by Louis Armstrong "What a Wonderful World". Take care.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · TradeStation Real Time - easy to use?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.