StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Traders Diary (for Real Traders!)<< >>Post Follow-up
nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37989
Ignore nikoschopen
9/16/2005 1:46:16 AM

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: Absolutely no stock recommendations. Only stocks you'll post are those that you already have or about to add to your porfortlio. No empty rhetoric and no flamers who indulge in their own misery
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those who think they have what it takes to earn the wrath of becoming the next Warren Buffett, or tout their filters as far superior to other's, I purposefully created this thread for two reasons:

1) To dispell any doubts among your detractors should you be right;
2) to lend support to the naysayers should you be wrong.

However, in order for you to lay claim to your prowess (and ultimately show that you can walk the walk), you must adhere to the following guidelines:

1) Show up to 5 stocks derived from YOUR filter that you will be trading the next day.
2) Give details on your planned entry & exit strategy.
3) Follow up on the next day with a copy of your trading log (BTW does anyone know how to post attachments or pics on this forum?).
4) *Optional* Post the filter with which you've traded. Understandably, for some of us, we would rather not divulge our filters for obvious reasons. This is for those who have already publicly recommended their filters for others to use. If their filters are as good as they say, then this should not be an issue.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37990
Ignore nikoschopen
9/16/2005 2:02:52 AM

As for my part, I have 3 stocks on my radar for tomorrow: one long, one short & one to monitor.

"Long" NLS
entry @ 24.06
sell stop @ 23.66
target @ 24.80

"Short" PII
entry @ 49.49
buy stop @ 50.20
target @ 47.20

TZOO will be watched closely for any upside continuation or any weakness to the downside.

------------

This filter has already been posted as a "momentutm filter" elsewhere

Fetcher[
set{rtn1,price / price 5 days ago}
set{rtn2,rtn1 - 1}
set{rtn,rtn2 * 100}
set{rtnxtr, 1 - count(rtn is between 5 and -5,1)}
rtnxtr equals 1

price 5 days ago is between 10 and 100
price is between 20 and 100
set{volratio, volume / avgvol(50)}
set{voldiff, volratio * 100}
voldiff is above 199
avgvol(50) is above 300000

add column voldiff{vol %Chg}
add column rtn
sort column 6 descending
]

mktmole
325 posts
msg #44666
Ignore mktmole
6/6/2006 11:33:03 AM

Nikoschopen, Could you kindly interpret and possible elaborate what you are scanning for with this portion of your price today vs 5 days ago filter and also restriction of the +/- range?

set{rtn1,price / price 5 days ago}
set{rtn2,rtn1 - 1}
set{rtn,rtn2 * 100}
set{rtnxtr, 1 - count(rtn is between 5 and -5,1)}
rtnxtr equals 1.

To shift this scan 1 day earlier (not the performance) would
" set{rtnxtr, 1 - count(rtn 1 day ago is between 5 and -5,1)} "
be the only required change.
Thank you.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #44668
Ignore nikoschopen
modified
6/6/2006 11:46:59 AM

This filter basically screens for stocks that have made more than +5% or -5% within the last 5 days. If you want to shift the filter 1 day, just add "date offset 1" to the filter. Let me know if I have misunderstood ure question.

[Edit] BTW, I used this filter to go long in the heyday of raging bulls, but now I use it, more or less, to enter short. My advice is to use it with discretion.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #44676
Ignore nikoschopen
6/6/2006 1:43:09 PM

StockFetcher,

Thanks for trimming this thread. Perhaps I've taken too drastic a measure to make myself heard. I will do my utmost to behave myself from now on.

Niko

Ray1
20 posts
msg #44689
Ignore Ray1
6/6/2006 7:58:53 PM

Niko, nice to see this type of thread being post here at SF. I’m a believer in buy and holding stocks for at least 30 days. The stocks I own now are lower priced stocks (1 – 20). And seeing that my cash allotment is very low I can only afford to buy small amounts. So I try to get the most for my money. Stocks currently hold are Lightbridge Inc. (ltbg), Quest (Q), and Manchester INC. (mncs), although mncs has a lot lower volume than I like to trade I just could past-up the price trend. My most reliable filter is:

Fetcher[show stocks where the Bollinger width(20) is between 0 and 0.15 and draw Bollinger(20)
and Volume above 50000
and Volume above Average Volume(20)
and close above open
and close 1 day ago was below the open 1 day ago
and MA(50) increasing for the last 4 Months
and Close between 1 and 25
and +DI(14) crossed above -DI(14) within the last 1 day
]

Does anyone else have and information they would like to share?
Later Ray

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #44690
Ignore nikoschopen
6/6/2006 8:46:07 PM

Hello Ray,

It's nice to hear that my post is found useful to at least 1 person in this forum. LOL.
The following is a long-filter that I'm quite fond of calling "Topping from Below":

Fetcher[
set{BB,count(Price crossed above the upper bollinger band (17),10) * count(price crossed below the lower keltner band(7),1)}
BB above 0

close below pp
price above 20
avgvol(17) above 500000
]

Change the price and volume parameter to suit ure needs, & let me know what you think.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Traders Diary (for Real Traders!)<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.