StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Trouble with scan<< >>Post Follow-up
carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37123
Ignore carolynandjoel
7/27/2005 11:10:12 PM

Dear All,
I am having a problem writing a scan. If I get all the variables I want, no stocks are selected. Here are the variables I would like:
Stocks in uptrending industries.
Price crossing above 30dma.
MACD histogram crossing above the 0 line.
Stochastics moving above 20.
Price in uptrend for 8 weeks.
Current volume 2 times average volume.
Average volume is 100,000 or more.
Price has been trending up for 8 weeks.

Do you think I have too many variables? Any assistance would be appreciated. Carolyn

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #37131
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/28/2005 12:18:02 PM

Not too many variables...

Give it a go... if you get stuck, post your filter, one of us will help.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

AMSERVE
9 posts
msg #37136
Ignore AMSERVE
7/28/2005 6:31:01 PM

If the stock has been trending up for 8 weeks, chances are the price is already well above the 30 day ma, not crossing it. Ditto for stochastics and the 20 level as well as the MACD and the 0 line. Try eliminating the 8 week uptrend and then reinstating it in shorter increments (10 days, 15 days etc.) until you
get a satisfactory number of hits.

carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37140
Ignore carolynandjoel
7/28/2005 11:01:08 PM

Thank you for commenting on my problem. As Rumpled One suggested, here is what I currently have. The problem is that the stocks which are selected do not appear to have been in an uptrend and they are crappy! Any suggestions for selecting stocks that are trending higher and perhaps are a bit better fundamentally?

Show stocks where industry is trending higher
And price is trending higher for 8 weeks
And close touched MA(30) from below
And MACD histogram(12,26) is above 0
And Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is above 40
And Average Volume (90) is above 100000
And volume today is above average volume (90)
And close is between 10 and 50

AMSERVE
9 posts
msg #37142
Ignore AMSERVE
7/28/2005 11:56:28 PM

Carolyn,

The Rumpled One is the Ace of Filters on this site but I do have a couple of suggestions.

First, you can use a positive Linear Regression Slope to select upward trending stocks. A moving average cross (ex. 20 day MA crossing above the 50 day MA) will show you much the same thing.

Second, you can't chart fundamentals. My suggestion would be to put together some Watch Lists of stocks that meet your fundamental requirements and scan those daily. I use SF to create a new watch list for me each day with some simple criteria: NYSE stocks, Average Volume(90) over 1,000,000, Average Day Range(30) above 2.50%, Close between 5 and 40. I run my scans against this list for trading ideas. Of course I'm much more of a swing trader. My average holding period is usually over 10 days. If you're a day trader you may want to modify the filters accordingly.

carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37157
Ignore carolynandjoel
7/29/2005 1:00:42 PM

Dear Amserve,
Thank you for the information. I, too, am more of a swing trader. Frankly, I am so new to SF that I didn't know that you could limit your technical scan to a watchlist. I presume there is some line of code you enter in your scripting which requests that scan on a specific watchlist. Could you provide an example? Thank you again, Carolyn

carolynandjoel
30 posts
msg #37158
Ignore carolynandjoel
7/29/2005 1:07:37 PM

Dear Amserve,
Nevermind! I looked under 'Watch List' and the instructions were there. I will ask again, if I run into problems. Thank you, Carolyn

go4it
8 posts
msg #37378
Ignore go4it
8/9/2005 3:52:31 AM

i want a simple chart to show adx,+di,-di,linear regression channel,macd,slow stochastics, and moving averages,etc.
i don't care if they are up or down!!!
put this one together:
SHOW stocks where Rsi(2)crossed above 20 within the last 1 days
and Williams %R(10)crossed above -70 within the last 1 days
show stocks those close is between 0.001 and 0.25
volume above 800000
SORT COLUMN 5 DESCENDING
Show stocks where +DI(14) crossed above -DI(14) within the last 1 day
Show stocks where +DI(14) crossed above ADX(14,14) within the last 1 day
Show stocks where Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K has been increasing over the last 3 days
Show stocks where MACD fast line(12,26) crossed above MACD slow line(12,26) within the last 1 day
Show stocks where MA(4) crossed above MA(10) within the last 1 week
Show stocks where MA(10) crossed above MA(20) within the last 1 week
Show stocks where MA(20) crossed above MA(50) within the last 1 week
show stocks where the High is more than 1 percent above the top linear regression line(60,1.25)
draw linear regression channel
draw +di
draw -di
draw adx
draw ma(4,10,20,50)
draw macd
draw Slow Stochastics

once added to my filter i get no stocks!!! whereas i had stocks before
is there someway a filter can be written without so many days up ,etc??
just simply for lrc,macd,etc???
tia in case someone can help with this

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Trouble with scan<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.