StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Unusual volume up or down, meaning?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
bloosteak
35 posts
msg #48969
Ignore bloosteak
1/5/2007 4:31:04 PM

You guys are probably more experienced traders then me. What could unusual volume mean? Unusual as in 3x the average. The stock i'm trading now:
Volume: 7,411,470
Avg Vol (3m): 1,858,690
SYMBOL:HAWK

Here's a chart http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=HAWK&p=D&yr=0&mn=8&dy=0&id=p65758105780

I've never seen anything this random before.

the rugusucker
7 posts
msg #48970
Ignore the rugusucker
1/5/2007 5:45:25 PM

Sellers have been in control since Dec. 15 culminating in final capitulation yesterday and the day before, indicated by the above avg. volume. After an 18% discount the smart money, mutual funds,etc., stepped in and bought today. Am I pretty close?

Now, my question to you is, how did you find HAWK? Did you use a filter from SF? Please explain your setup. What was your entry point and do you have a exit target? I like to learn from you if I can.

bloosteak
35 posts
msg #48973
Ignore bloosteak
1/5/2007 6:11:04 PM

I found it through TRO's mac d triple bottom filter, I bought calls on it too early. My mistake, at least I learned something. I sorted it by macdx, and it's indicator was one. Should of waited for it to rollover some more with price action.
Exit: 11.5ish

You shouldn't take advice from me though, I'm very inexperienced.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48974
Ignore TheRumpledOne
1/5/2007 6:17:32 PM

I think it was RIGGS who came up with the Triple Bottom MACD based on my ZOOM LENS filter.

You're welcome anyway. :)

the rugusucker
7 posts
msg #48989
Ignore the rugusucker
1/6/2007 3:32:46 AM

The candlestick today was a hammer which portends a trend reversal. You very well may have caught the bottom. A big congrats awaits you when it hits 11.50.

The filter in question generates a large number of stocks to comb through. How do I narrow it down to a more manageable few? I've only been with SF for two weeks, so I'm truly inexperienced in how to profit from the filters. I have yet to chalk up even a single profitable trade using SF. I'll buy HAWK on Monday if it holds green.

You use options yet you claim you're inexperienced. Seems to be a contradiction there. Anyways, good luck to you on this trade and thanks for sharing.

wallman
299 posts
msg #48990
Ignore wallman
1/6/2007 8:25:25 AM

"Now, my question to you is, how did you find HAWK?"

RSI(2)below 1

Avery,didn't you notice that? :)

One of the best purest simple filters out there.

Muddy

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48995
Ignore TheRumpledOne
1/6/2007 12:35:43 PM

Hey Muddy:

You know RSI(2) < 1 works.

StockHolyGrail, aka Mary4Money, who taught it to me, knows it works.

I know it works.

Maybe a handful of other traders here on SF know it works.

It's a ONE TRICK PONY, not a DEAD HORSE...lol!!

What else can I say about RSI(2) < 1 that hasn't been said before?

"RSI(2) < 1" + "WAIT FOR GREEN" = PROFIT $$$$.

the rugusucker
7 posts
msg #48996
Ignore the rugusucker
1/6/2007 12:57:35 PM

TRO and Muddy,
Are you referring to the public filter Muddy Combined - RSI(2) < 1 ?

bloosteak
35 posts
msg #48999
Ignore bloosteak
1/6/2007 3:56:48 PM

It's actually my first time using options, and this is only my first week on a direct access broker (IB).

There's a book about trading that I like a lot, it's called Mastering the Trade by John F. Carter. It's funny because he also tries to promote 2 or 3 filters for esignal and tradestation that are on his website that he sells for hundreds of dollars.

In his book he has many techniques that can be reproduced with filters on stockfetcher, so that's what I'm trying to accomplish.

bloosteak
35 posts
msg #49000
Ignore bloosteak
modified
1/6/2007 4:05:49 PM

TRO, what is "waiting for green"? John F Carter has a indicator called "TTM Squeeze v4"

I'll type it out.

"The quiet periods I'm looking for are identified when the Bollinger Bands narrow in width to the point that they are actually traing inside of the Kelner channels. This marks a period of reduced volatility and signals that the market is taking a significant breather, building up steam for its next move. The trade signal occurs when the Bollinger Bands then move back outside the Keltner Channels. I use a 12-period momentum index oscillator to determine whether to go long or short. If the oscillator is above 0 when this happens, I go long; if it is below zero, I go short. These are all canned studies that come with most charting packages. For the parameters, I just use the default settings on Tradestation. These readings are 20 and 1.5 for the Keltner Channels and 20 and 2 for the Bollinger Bands. My partner Hubert also took an extra step and turned all these into an indicator, which makes it easier to read on the chart, which I explain in a moment."

You can see a picture of it at http://www.tradethemarkets.com/products/department2.cfm

It's the squeeze indicator with the red and green dots and the histogram.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Unusual volume up or down, meaning?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.