StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Weekly SF knowledge Quiz and/or Weekly Tip<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #140805
Ignore nibor100
1/10/2018 12:16:58 PM

I'm a little late posting this next quiz which will consist of True or False questions covering the entire gamut of StockFetcher sw tools and some questions may be a little trickier than they first appear to be:

Quiz #2:

1. When we click on the "Fetch Stocks!" box, SF returns a list of qualifying stocks in either Graph or Table format.
T or F. When those filter results are displayed in Table format we must either click on a particular stock or click on the Charts box in order to see its Graph.

2. T or F. StockFetcher is incapable of showing a stock's historical chart from any time period older than 3 years prior to the current day's date.

3. T or F. When "Chart+" isn't working, there are at least 2 other ways in which to see which of our Filters, stored in My Filters, returns a given stock on the current day.

4. T or F. SF has coded more than 600 example filters for us to use.

5. T or F There is only 1 more undocumented trade statistic function in SF that isn't listed in Indicators, Filter Phrases or Filter Builder.

Ed S.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #140832
Ignore nibor100
1/11/2018 9:53:59 AM

Quiz #2 Answer to Question 1. is False.

There actually is at least 1 way to view a stock chart from the filter results Table format without having to click on anything and its called "Hover Charts"

To enable Hover Charts:
1. you must first click on the Setting drop down box to the immediate right of the Charts drop down box in the middle of the filter results page.
2. Then click on Quick Settings at the bottom of the list.
3. Then select the blank check box next to "Enable Hover Charts (table results only)
4. Click on the Save Changes box in the lower right hand corner.

Now when you get filter results in table format you can just scroll over to any stock's symbol and pause for a second and a chart will appear. Note you can still get to the bigger chart display by clicking anywhere on that stock symbols results line.

Ed S.

Lapre506
48 posts
msg #140851
Ignore Lapre506
1/11/2018 5:58:45 PM

Quiz #2
Question #2
"2. T or F. StockFetcher is incapable of showing a stock's historical chart from any time period older than 3 years prior to the current day's date"

I believe is False. It's my understanding Stockfetcher is actually incapable of showing any time period older then "2 years" prior to the current date.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #140878
Ignore nibor100
1/12/2018 10:36:05 AM

As Lapre506 posted

the Quiz #2 Answer to Question 2. is False

However, it is for an entirely different reason.

I like him him thought that the SF charts would only go back 2 years, primarily because they provide us a choice of either 3m,6m, 1yr, and 2yr in the top right corner of the chart we get when we click on a stock in a filter result. Then, 1 day I was trying to resize the bottom of the chart so I could see the lower indicator section better and I dragged the chart to the right and a third year of data was revealed.

Note: if you select the 2 year option and click and drag the chart to the right sometimes it will only go back as far as Apr 2015, but if you switch to the 3m choice and drag some more it will go back to Jan 26, 2015, revealing almost 3 years of chart and indicator values which is why I chose 3 years for the question text.

My reason for the #2 answer being false, is that there is a way in SF to see past chart data as far back the year 2000 in 1 year chart segments.

The way to get these older charts is to:
1. run any filter that returns some results

2. if your results are in table format move your mouse over to the far right and choose the setting icon and choose Historical from the drop down menu
If your results are in chart format choose Historical from the top of the little on screen chart

3. the screen that appears is the SF Stock Chart Analysis screen which shows various info regarding your filter hits during the chart span of time shown on the screen.
Since we want to go way back in time go to the top of the screen and replace the stock symbol with MSFT and click the Analyze box.

4. After the current year MSFT chart shows up on the screen go down to the "Ending Date" box and replace the date with 1/11/2001 and click the Change box.

5. After a few second delay the older 1 year chart of MSFT with an end date of 1/11/2001 will appear, of course you can choose any end date you prefer.

Note: I checked a couple of stocks that had long histories and the older charts seem very accurate back to 2001, but futher back than that I found some glitches like the calcualtions for split adjustements might have had an error in them.

Ed S.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #141039
Ignore nibor100
1/16/2018 3:50:36 PM

Times up for Quiz #2:

Answer to Question 3. is True.

Answer to Question 4. is True.

Answer to Question 5. is False.

If anyone want to post the corresponding answer explanations, feel free to do so as I'm busy doing yard work before the next cold front because the Magic game is early tonight, so I'll hold off posting the explanations until tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ed S.

four
5,087 posts
msg #141043
Ignore four
1/16/2018 4:01:35 PM

See if there is anything of interest here:
http://stockfetchery.blogspot.com/

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #141221
Ignore nibor100
1/21/2018 10:20:10 AM

1. For Question 3 being True here are 2 other ways an SF user can use to see which of their filters, stored in My Filters, returns a given stock on the current day:

a. First one must set up at least one Watchlist under the Watchlist tab, ideally with just one stock in the Watchlist.
Then select that Watchlist and choose the Watchlist Actions dropdown and select Filters.
In the Filter popup window select each of the Filters for which you want to know if the stock would have been selected by that filter on the current day and click on Save.

Did you notice each filter has a number? That number will be used for the column heading and you can see the name of the filter by moving your cursor over the checkmark for a given stock filter hit.

In order to see this column display for a stock that is in the results table for any filter you just ran, click the empty check box to the left of the stock and at the bottom of the screen choose add to watchlist and select the correct watchlist from the list that appears.

Then view your watchlist under the watchlist tab and you should see which if any of your filters had a hit for that stock.
The total number of hits for that stock across all of your filter columns is in its own column to the far right of the filter columns.

b. Scroll to the bottom of the SF main page and choose Reports (Flash Required) from the list at far left.
When it opens choose a report, select edit, select Add Column, choose Filter Match from the drop down, then select Saved Filters and choose which ones you want to see data for, very similar to the process in a. above.

2. For Question 4 being True one has to combine the filter example found under the Examples tab on the SF main webpage with the filter examples provided as part of the StockFetcher for IPAD.

Note that the numerical count total is only driven higher by SF modifying the existing example filters to only return results for one or all of the following markets: NYSE, NASDAQ, S&P500 and OTCBB.

3. For Question 5 being False here are 2 more undocumented trade statistic function in SF that isn't listed in Indicators, Filter Phrases or Filter Builder:

By the way, both were born as a result of K of G's efforts.

a. The Sharpe Ratio takes 3 parameters:

Sharpe Ratio(period , RFR Value , Flag)

period: Days used in the calcuation.

RFR Value: Either a symbol (e.g. ^IRX) or a constant as a percent (eg. 0.02). Default=^IRX

Flag: Either 0 or 1. If you are using a symbol for parameter 2, setting the flag to 1 will calculate the RFR as the price change over the desired period for the specified symbol. Default=0

An example using the Flag option. The below will calculate the 21 day Sharpe Ratio using the 21-day price change (percent) as the risk-free-rate in the formula. Obviously, this is not a "risk-free" rate of return, but may provide some flexibility in customizing the formula.

Fetcher[add column Sharpe Ratio(21,SPY,1)
market is S&P 500
]

2. Sortino Ratio

from the post of
7/10/2015 10:07:33 AM

As a quick follow-up, you should now be able to use "Sortino Ratio(period)" in your filters. For example:

Fetcher[
S&P 500
add column Sortino Ratio(126)
and draw Sortino Ratio(126)
]

Anybody get all 5?
Ed S.

xarlor
562 posts
msg #153515
Ignore xarlor
8/12/2020 12:59:25 PM

Bumping because I hate not knowing about filters because they are not documented officially. Thank you nibor for your efforts. Your handle is quite relevant because you're always giving it 100.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Weekly SF knowledge Quiz and/or Weekly Tip<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.