StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What am I missing with this one line filer<< >>Post Follow-up
DGeorge
10 posts
msg #45558
Ignore DGeorge
7/8/2006 10:58:46 AM

I am trying to create a filter and it's not working and I boiled it down to this one line. Can anyone see what I am missing and why it doesn't return anything:

Show stocks where the OBV crossed above OBV(10)

Thanks for your help
Dan

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45562
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
7/8/2006 2:05:32 PM

On Balance Volume(OBV)

Parameters none

Usage OBV

Description On Balance Volume uses volume on up and down days as a momentum indicator for a stock. A cumulative momentum indicator, the On Balance Volume adds the daily volume on a day where the stock closes up and subtracts the daily volume on days when the stock closes down. Because the OBV is not normalized from one stock to another, typical interpretations analyze the slope to determine potential momentum changes.

OBV doe NOT have parameters.

Try this

Fetcher[
set{obv10, cma(obv, 10)}

draw obv
draw obv10 on plot obv

add column obv
add column obv10

obv crossed above obv10

close above 20
volume above 1000000

]

HTH.

DGeorge
10 posts
msg #45568
Ignore DGeorge
7/8/2006 2:43:55 PM

Thank you so much for the help. It looks like it gets me in the direction I want to go.
However, it also poses a new question. Sorry to overstay a welcome, but I'll ask anyway. What is the difference between the red line (OBV EMA(10) and the the green line (OBV(10) on the chart. Why would I be concerned with both the exponential MA and the plain OBV(10)?

Thanks again

DGeorge
10 posts
msg #45570
Ignore DGeorge
7/8/2006 3:04:20 PM

Sorry to have bothered you, I figured out the answer to my second post.

Thanks again sir for you help.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #45575
Ignore nikoschopen
7/8/2006 4:55:31 PM

DGeorge,

The OBV(10) is the plain ol' or the "simple" moving average of the OBV, and the OBV EMA(10) is the "exponential" moving average of the OBV.

Further info on the use of CMA is found here:
http://www.stockfetcher.com/stockdb/fetcher?p=forum&sub=view&fid=1006&tid=34493

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #45578
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/8/2006 5:50:51 PM

"Thank you so much for the help. It looks like it gets me in the direction I want to go.
However, it also poses a new question. Sorry to overstay a welcome, but I'll ask anyway. What is the difference between the red line (OBV EMA(10) and the the green line (OBV(10) on the chart. Why would I be concerned with both the exponential MA and the plain OBV(10)?

Thanks again"

For some reason, SF plots the ema of the OBV WITHOUT asking.

So when I drew the obv and the ma(10) of the obv, SF added the ema(10) of the obv.

Actually, the EMA may be superior to the MA in this case. I don't know for sure.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What am I missing with this one line filer<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.