StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What trends are profitable ?<< >>Post Follow-up
wallman
299 posts
msg #48778
Ignore wallman
12/26/2006 11:01:30 PM

"Lately I have been looking at the short term, 1-5 day trade and jump back into another stock"

If you are flexible enough to do a 1 day trade I use the squeeze/volume increase/price breakout method to catch some really good profits.
And like yourself I turn them over frequently for the power of compounding.
Some trades may last until near the close,some only an hour or so to catch the pop,using a trailing stop.

I only watch ones that traded over 500,000 shrs on that sq/vol/break and wait for them to go GREEN from red or very slight green.
Today there was ZICA and RPRX,ZICA especially nice coming from deep red to catch green at just a little past 10 a.m.

This is what a ZICA Monster looks like
http://greenonthescreen.blogspot.com/

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48777
Ignore lockwhiz
modified
12/27/2006 8:27:41 AM

Curious to see what trends others have found pofitable.

Lately I have been looking at the short term, 1-5 day trade and jump back into another stock ...and re-invest (compound) the profits. Today 12/26 I bought TERN, and tomorrow I am looking at CBEY or CPSI for (December 27). I re-evaluate after I see the morning sentiment....and buy between 9:30 and 10:00am EST. I trade stocks aywhere between $1.00 and $75.00, as long as I can visualize that 5% sweet spot. (A realistic 40% return is expected every month...ahhh the power of compounding.) My picks are from a very simple screen that looks for 3 days down trend, ending with an up day on high volume. But I would like to see what other trends you have found profitable and predictable and can be used for this "3 day hold strategy".

2007 is going to be a great year !
Trade on !

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48779
Ignore lockwhiz
12/27/2006 9:07:57 AM

Wallman,
Agree,"waiting for the green" is crucial ... I also rely on this confirmation of price and volume, as you do.
Riding the coat tails of stocks like RPRX and ZICA, which has had balistic, 2 + days, of price moves on big volume, is a great method. Do you watch for a 2 day confirmation ..ie "green" ? Your "squeeze/volume increase/price breakout method" ?...could you explain the "squeeze" part ?

RPRX slow stochastic(5,5) looks like it has reached its price pinacle...I see the lights changing to yellow. ZICA may little more road to tear up. Your technique is similar to mine ...but definetly different, so I am interested and will watch these gems today. Do you trade with a minimum target potential... I shoot for a 5%. Intraday trading is great,if you can keep a close eye on it, unfortunately, even with a PC at my fingertips, I can't (and keep my sanity..or my job).

Well, the market is about to open ... It looks like a strong open ! .... may all your trades be profitable !

traderblues
195 posts
msg #48780
Ignore traderblues
modified
12/27/2006 10:21:42 AM

Look what IFON is doing today. These type of plays can be made with real-time intraday screens. Screen for huge price and volume surges after the first 1/2 hour of trading, then buy when the stock breaks to a new high for the day. Unfortunately, the Stockfetcher intraday screen would be 20 minutes late.

Tom, is there any chance we will get real-time intraday sometime in the future?

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48782
Ignore lockwhiz
12/27/2006 10:55:47 AM

OLAB also is breaking strong on high volume too (relative to its norm).

Tom ...like TraderBlues says ... that intraday , realtime screen would be great !

wallman
299 posts
msg #48798
Ignore wallman
12/27/2006 10:57:53 PM

Lockwhiz,
I do not wait for a 2 day confirmation on any stock,especially ones like ZICA that is a feeding frenzy momo.I love even dollar crosses and just happened to catch ZICA as it had hit 1.01 from .94 on big vol for it Friday morning.Plus the fact i knew this stock is capable of putting up some big white candles in the past few years.

The squeeze part i'm referring to is the Bollinger Band tightness.
When a stock breaks out i like the bands to be of a tighter variety.
Look at the ZICA chart,you'll see the tight squeezed bands until its breakout.

No,i have no target profit in mind when i enter a trade.
I figure it this way,if I can get 70% Fri and 30% Tues on a stock like ZICA after it holds green,why should i care if a stock i enter stalls and goes nowhere not hitting that 5% price target.
A few % here and there for myself makes no difference at all.

I see you mentioned OLAB,my guess it was not even over 4.50 judging by the time of your post.
You did an excellent job finding that as a price/vol breakout.It really busted it around 3:25 and then went to hod of 5.76 !

Keep up the good work.
You have the right idea looking for price and vol increase breaks.

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48803
Ignore lockwhiz
12/28/2006 8:10:22 AM

Wallman ...

...ahh yes the Bollinger squeeze. That makes sense. Thanks !

Amazing catch on ZICA. Sizzling !

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #48804
Ignore maxreturn
12/28/2006 8:22:59 AM

Ok, I understand that you first scan for bollinger squeezes and add them to a watchlist using Fetcher. What is the cheapest...and still reliable software & data feed that will allow you to place intraday alerts on these stocks?

markcrisp
187 posts
msg #48921
Ignore markcrisp
1/4/2007 3:32:02 AM

"the big money is in the big moves"

3-9+ month trends.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What trends are profitable ?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.