StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Who owns the filters that we create?<< >>Post Follow-up
sync
15 posts
msg #77442
Ignore sync
8/11/2009 1:02:44 PM

I can't find any information on this site about who owns the filters that subscribers create on SF.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #77444
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
8/11/2009 2:13:37 PM

If you post it on the internet, everybody owns it.

A filter is mostly a thought process - "if I combine X and Y in a manner not typically seen before, do I own that specific combination?"

Hopefully no developer of the underlying technical indicators X and Y will claim ownership of your filter (because they were freely disseminated, he has lost the right to charge you for using it).

sync
15 posts
msg #77445
Ignore sync
8/11/2009 2:51:03 PM

I'm not referring to filters that are posted.

If I create a filter, either I own the rights to that filter or SF does. A lot of sites have a policy that everything that is created on their site is owned by them.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #77448
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/11/2009 3:22:16 PM

Who cares?

Unless you have plans on selling filters...

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #77449
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
8/11/2009 3:23:59 PM

SF is, at its core, a tool for investors to use. You own your individual filters, as they are your intellectual output.

Once shared (as all good filters should be), they are in the public domain and there's not much anyone can do to stop others from using them.

Excellent discussion topic, by the way.

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #77453
Ignore karennma
modified
8/11/2009 3:50:58 PM

Who cares?
Unless you have plans on selling filters...
(TRO)
=========================================================

ROFL!!!
Ditto .... !!!
Message boards are "thoughts online" .. a PUBLIC forum.
I used to have what I thought were "proprietary filters". I'd never disclose my "secret" filters.
They were "mine".. I "owned" them.
Well, guess what?
They're all HERE on SF.
Whatever "little secret" filter you think you've "thought" of, I guarantee you, someone else has thought of it too. Or some variation.
(my only exception would be M4M, who absolutely stuns me! I don't know WHAT he uses to call tops n' bottoms)

Edit:
In fact, just the other day, someone posted a question about using fibonacci lines. Chetron was kind enuf to post several variations of the filter. I've been using a similar filter for YEARS.
People here "discover" and rediscover all the time. "Owning" those thought processess is a very nebulous concept, IMHO.
LOL!

sync
15 posts
msg #77454
Ignore sync
8/11/2009 4:20:10 PM

I brought this up because I know there are a lot of marketers who would think it was a good idea to track the results from the backtester here. They would then market those that showed good results.

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #77467
Ignore trendscanner
8/11/2009 10:09:11 PM

I've always viewed a marketed stock scan as a paradox - if it's so good, why wouldn't the person just use the scan to make money? If they're selling the scan to make money, it suggests to me that it's not that good. Otherwise, they wouldn't waste energy on marketing it, they would just play the market with it and get rich.

marine2
963 posts
msg #77470
Ignore marine2
8/12/2009 1:32:53 AM

Even the best filters (that have great backtesting results) are not what they seem in all occasions. But, even then, they still give you a pretty good percentage of success over time. Plus, trying to sell a filters thought onto someone else for monetary gain isn't worth the worry. Unless of course you put in all sorts of conditionals and waivers reducing your liability unto yourself in case it doesn't work out for the recipient. Use the ideas given in this site as tools for your own personal gains and no one elses. You will sleep easier that way.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Who owns the filters that we create?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.