StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Word of CAUTION!!!!!!<< >>Post Follow-up
hrosas
27 posts
msg #48954
Ignore hrosas
1/5/2007 10:16:24 AM

My desktop got trashed. Last night I downloaded software from couple of threads: The Fibonacci stuff and from free gifts: how to trade AAPL GOOG, free e-books etc.etc. Some how a download infected the computer Now it boots but cannot run a program or even run the re-format diskettes. I'm not complaining, the computer repair shop will deal with the problem and reformat the whole thing.
Most of the postings are terrific, helpful and instructive, but some how malicious minds are set to inflict damage. Anti virus, firewalls, spy ware software will not stop them. Maybe CAUTION will not even help. So long for now... HR

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #48958
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
1/5/2007 12:25:45 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! Your "word of caution" has already helped.

Nice going there Da-Net! :( Wonder why he felt a need to splatter us with all that internet "graffeti?"

- RIGGS -

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #48965
Ignore nikoschopen
1/5/2007 2:59:25 PM

Before you take the box out to the shop for a repair, you might want to check to see if any of your sensitive info (eg. brokerage account) has been compromised. Virus these days are not the ordinary common breed as they used to be, considering that they come bundled with other baddies like trojan and password stealer. Also what OS are you running? If you're using WinXP, you need merely pop in the install disk in the CD-ROM to run a "clean install" (aka reformat) on the box. Check here for further instruction: http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

On a closing note, it's a common sense that one should exercise caution when downloading anything from the web, especially from those other than reputable sources. To avoid such problems in the future, you might want to install a disk imaging proggies like Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image. With such proggies, when the disaster strikes you only need to back up the stored image.

hrosas
27 posts
msg #48968
Ignore hrosas
1/5/2007 4:30:14 PM

nikoschopen:
Thank you for your advice. It did not take the clean install cd. They did a good job. The desktop is in the computer store. Good point with the brokerage account, I appreciate it.I called TS and the account was not compromised (not yet), the money is there and my "shorts" are tanking below the line (so far! we'll see the next couple of weeks).
Best! HR.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Word of CAUTION!!!!!!<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.