StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · automatic trading<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
jfue611-wlzz973kg-wqu558v
20 posts
msg #89870
Ignore jfue611-wlzz973kg-wqu558v
3/18/2010 8:27:03 PM

Hello,
I am interested in automating some of my trades using stocks produced using scans like I have created in SF.
Since SF can not trade, can anyone recommend which software is the best for the following?
1.scan the universe of stocks using a custom scan
2.as soon as stocks that meet the scan critieria are met, automatically place a buy limit order based on a certain investment amount (i.e. $3000) (up to a max trades per day)
3.if the trade is incomplete (i.e. only 50% of the $3000) or if it is not filled at all before the price rises above the order, cancel the limit order even if the price drops back down
4.if the order is filled, execute an automatic sell order based on a certain % gain and/or % loss
5.if the sell order does not execute, automatically sell at close if I wish
6.email and/or text alerts in realtime to me if any of the conditions above are met or are getting close to execution

Is this what Tradestation can do, and if so, is it the best? Are there just as effective alternates that are less costly?

Can the suggested software execute the above strategy in realtime with fake money in order to get the hang of it?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated

Thanks
Mike

miketranz
956 posts
msg #89875
Ignore miketranz
3/18/2010 10:07:37 PM

Mike,check out Fidelity Active Trader Pro.One of the best out there in all respects.You want to set up "contingent trades" where one order either triggers another or cancels another.The best way to get your feet wet is with real money.Trade small size until you get the hang of it.You'll never know what it feels like to make or lose money in real time,until you step up to the plate.Good luck...

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #89902
Ignore Eman93
modified
3/19/2010 3:09:40 AM

Mike I have Active trader..... you need to have your own watchlist it is unlimited in size but I have tried to run interday scans on 5 min data with about 100 stocks and it locks my PC.

My PC cant do all the calcs.... so an overall market scan would be hard.

you also need to know how to program in C# to get anywhere close to what we have here.

Mike do you want to elaborate on your exp. or usage?

I would be interested....

Thanks,
Eman

miketranz
956 posts
msg #89959
Ignore miketranz
3/19/2010 5:16:29 PM

Eman,I normally don't run intraday scans.However,I did run them at one time using garsworld.com on a second computer.Very interesting scans,some set ups you never heard of.You should check it out for a free trial.Active Trader has a great platform and I've been using it for years.The tech support is second to none,nice people to deal with.Mike......

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #89961
Ignore karennma
3/19/2010 5:36:38 PM

jfure:
Tradestation does auto-trading.
http://www.tradestation.com/automated_trading/howitworks.shtm

I believe TRO still uses TradeStation.
I don't think I can post his website here.
But it's spelled K-r-e-s-l-i-c-k.
You can search TradeStation when you get there.
BTW, I LOVE garsworld.
But YOU have to be there to pick your trades. All the scans are already done for you.
Good luck!
:>)

klynn55
747 posts
msg #89969
Ignore klynn55
3/19/2010 9:13:11 PM

karenma: how do you use Garsworld, what do you like about it? sure is cheap enough!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #89970
Ignore karennma
3/19/2010 10:36:53 PM

klynn:
Everything's already done for you. Used in conjuction with SF and ToS, you can't miss, IMHO.
All the scans/filters are done for you .. in REAL TIME. You don't have to "compose" anything.
The technical analysis is already done for you.
You just "click" what you want to see ... and voila!! It's there!! Charts, technical indicators, .. everything!
It's pretty obvious, the guy who designed the product (called "StockVision") is a daytrader.
My trial doesn't run out till next week, but I'm definately going to sign up as a "Lifer". (one time fee - $199.oo)
There's also a chatroom. It's like our Intraday board, but more people are trading.
I found some excellent picks I've never looked at before.
My trial just started on Wednesday, but I really like what I've seen so far.
No BS ... just straight daytrading.
There's a guy named "Nester" who starts posting market news around 7:00 a.m..
It's not the general crap you see on TV, but stuff relevant to trading stocks.
For example, he posted the APPA news very early this morning, so you'd know to put APPA on your watclist.
(see APPA chart)
If you're trading during the day, you should definately try the trial. (in other words, if I had a "day job", I would NOT sign up for this service)
After using options scanners for the last two weeks, (and screwing up my eyesight looking at TOO MUCH data), garsworld was a pleasant and refreshing relief!
For the kind of trading I do, it's perfect.
Good luck!

thyname
16 posts
msg #89979
Ignore thyname
3/20/2010 1:58:47 AM

Hey Karennma, I just downloaded the software for stockvision, did some tutorials and looks awesome. Now, could you please tell how you have used it? Too many features, don't know how to start. Thanks from thyname!

20 posts
msg #89999
Ignore jfue611-wlzz973kg-wqu558v
3/20/2010 11:16:22 AM

thank you for all of the info. I have a lot to research based on the above. I am sure I will have followup questions.

Eman,
My usage (or planned usage) is simple. I simply wish to scan in realtime stocks that have dropped a large amount relative to their open price and then auto enter at that %dropped price. When entered, closing at a set gain% (no stoploss, I know, this is "bad") or at the close.

Karenma,
You said Garsworld requires no "composing" but if the canned scans are not what I want, can I compose and scan in realtime in Garsworld?

Mike

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #90011
Ignore karennma
modified
3/20/2010 1:11:10 PM

- 3/20/2010 11:16:22 AM
Karenma,
You said Garsworld requires no "composing" but if the canned scans are not what I want, can I compose and scan in realtime in Garsworld?
Mike
=============================================

Not that I'm aware of.
As I posted originally, I liked it because there was NO composing.

edit:
I just finished watching all the "Demos".
There's NOTHING there re: "composing" your own scans.
You don't need to write anything. Everything's already done for you .. in REAL TIME.
If you want to write your own stuff, then as I previously suggested, try TradeStation or go to TRO's website.
(see my first post)
For my purposes, garsworld is SUPER!
In fact, it's basically a super scanner.
No muss, no fuss ... just point and click.
Sweet!!
Luv it!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · automatic trading<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.