StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · positive returns<< >>Post Follow-up
ade1
1 posts
msg #121367
Ignore ade1
8/20/2014 10:33:24 AM

Hi folks,I do various backtests on my strategies ie.macd bullish,bearish...stochastics bullish,bearish and many more but when I backtest them I am losing money.Does anyone have a positve return on a strategy when backtested.I appreciate you dont want to share a winner,but maybe you will give a hint.many thanks
Adrian

mshivalu
11 posts
msg #121399
Ignore mshivalu
8/27/2014 7:10:16 PM

ade1
1 posts
msg #121367
- Ignore ade1

8/20/2014 10:33:24 AM

Hi folks,I do various backtests on my strategies ie.macd bullish,bearish...stochastics bullish,bearish and many more but when I backtest them I am losing money.Does anyone have a positve return on a strategy when backtested.I appreciate you dont want to share a winner,but maybe you will give a hint.many thanks
Adrian
------------------------------------------------------

Hi Adrian,

Success with automatic bactesting still eludes me, but using date offset on my screens allows me to see how stocks typically behave when my criteria is met.

So far, the TRO scans have been nice work horses for me. I just learned of scans by miketranz that are generating nice returns too. You can run a search for TheRumpledOne (or TRO) and miketranz to see the scans.

Actually, the forum is littered with a treasure trove of winning filters by many, but bactesting will show they suck. I guess what I am trying to say is...."don't let backtesting be your sole source of determining if a filter works." I know a lot of people who have 80% screens, but can't generate those returns when they live trade.

Happy Trading!

marine2
963 posts
msg #121407
Ignore marine2
8/28/2014 2:26:52 PM

Because the backtesting mechanism has many variables you can choose from picking the right ones for your specific filter does affect its results. Try testing those variables and settle in on just the right mix to help give you the better results you are yearning for. Happy investing and good luck!

jemarcks
26 posts
msg #121408
Ignore jemarcks
8/28/2014 5:00:22 PM

Use Stratasearch for back testing.

mshivalu
11 posts
msg #121435
Ignore mshivalu
9/4/2014 8:03:05 AM

You both gave me something to consider. Thank you Marine2 and Jemarcks.

============================================================================

marine2
745 posts
msg #121407
- Ignore marine2

8/28/2014 2:26:52 PM

Because the backtesting mechanism has many variables you can choose from picking the right ones for your specific filter does affect its results. Try testing those variables and settle in on just the right mix to help give you the better results you are yearning for. Happy investing and good luck!
--------------------------------------------------------

jemarcks
8 posts
msg #121408
- Ignore jemarcks

8/28/2014 5:00:22 PM

Use Stratasearch for back testing.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · positive returns<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.