StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Generic<< 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 63 >>Post Follow-up
four
5,087 posts
msg #129715
Ignore four
7/10/2016 3:51:39 PM

Fetcher[
draw fisher transform(2) below 0
draw rsi(2) 1 day ago < 10
rsi(2) > rsi(2) 1 day ago
rsi(2) < 30
low > 10
volume > 123123
add column annual dividend yield
]

shillllihs
5,963 posts
msg #129716
Ignore shillllihs
7/10/2016 4:34:45 PM

Fetcher[
draw fisher transform(2) below -.10
draw weekly rsi(2) 1 day ago < 10
weekly rsi(2) > rsi(2) 1 day ago
weekly rsi(2) < 29

volume > 123123
etf
]

four
5,087 posts
msg #129782
Ignore four
7/13/2016 9:32:38 AM

Fetcher[
set{x, rsi(11) - 50}
draw x line at 0
draw x line at 10
draw rsi(15) line at 70
low > 10
volume > 123123
]

four
5,087 posts
msg #129783
Ignore four
7/13/2016 9:41:22 AM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hedge-fund-manager-whitney-tilson-speech-to-9th-grade-boys-123429264.html

Hedge fund manager Whitney Tilson, the founder of Kase Capital, gives a commencement speech at Eaglebook School in Deerfield, Massachusetts.
More

Hedge fund manager Whitney Tilson, the founder of Kase Capital, gave some sage life advice to nearly a hundred graduating 9th grade boys during a commencement speech on Friday.

Speaking at his alma mater, Eaglebrook School, a private 6th to 9th grade boarding school in Deerfield, Massachusetts, Tilson told the boys: “If you are a dumba--, there will be consequences!”

This is Tilson's so-called “No. 1 Immutable Law of the Universe” that he's been telling his three teenage daughters for years.

Throughout his career, Tilson has made many public presentations and television appearances. This, however, was his first time speaking to an audience of teenagers. He wanted to give the 15-year-old boys a "memorable" speech.

“I like it because it’s memorable: I’m pretty sure that the word dumba-- has never been used in any commencement address ever. The question is, is it meaningful? I think it is.”

He continued: “[The] foundation for a a successful life is playing defense. And by that I mean avoiding the obvious mistakes that can really set you back. I’m not talking about the big, general things: if you’re mean to people, don’t expect to have many friends; if you’re lazy and dishonest, you won’t have much of a career; if you don’t take care of your body, of course it’s going to break down…. No, I’m talking about the blindingly obvious things, ranging from touching a stove to see if it’s hot (I did that once) or touching an electric fence to see if it’s live (I did that too), all the way up to things that can derail – or end – a life.”

Tilson cautioned the boys that the "biggie" that can derail their lives is binge drinking alcohol, especially in college.

"I'm not saying you should be a teetotaler -- go ahead, have a drink or two...maybe even three. But be really careful about getting totally smashed because there are so many permanently bad things that can happen," Tilson said.

He added: "By now you’re probably thinking, 'Jeez, what kind of commencement speaker is this? What a downer he is! When is he going to tell us how great we are, how we should put on our sunglasses because our future is so bright, and how we need to seize the day?' Well, you are and you should – but the reason I started with these stories is because the foundation for a successful life is playing good defense. If you want to get ahead, you have to start by not falling behind," Tilson said.

In addition the "don’t be a dumba--" advice, Tilson encouraged the boys to form good habits, quoting famed investor Warren Buffett: "You can transform yourself into the person you want to be, but you have to decide early because the chain of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."

Tilson continued: "All the little things you do dozens of times every day – your habits – define who you are – and once these patterns are set, they’re really tough to change. So if you remember anything from today, I hope it will be this: it’s critically important to develop good habits early in life."

The two habits he really encouraged were: "work hard, be nice," which is the slogan of KIPP charter schools, which Tilson has been heavily involved in for years.

"It’s so simple that you might dismiss it, but if you think about it, those four words capture an awful lot of what you need to be successful in life."

According to Tilson, "work hard" is not just about immersing yourself in your education and putting in a lot of hours, but it's also about having "grit, determination and resilience."

"All of us face setbacks in life -- it's how we handle them that's critical. One study measured students' IQ and also grit -- and it turns out that grit was twice as important in determining life outcomes," Tilson said.

As for being nice, that's another way of "not being a jerk." He encouraged the boys to be grateful and to find ways to be a "giving person."

"I’ve thrown a lot at you here, so let me quickly summarize: defense wins championships, work hard, and be nice. If you do these things, I promise you that you’ll lead a long and rewarding life, filled with love, laughter and happiness. It’s yours for the taking."

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #129799
Ignore pthomas215
7/13/2016 2:20:52 PM

Thank you Four. good article. hope the 9th graders were not on Instagram when he was talking.

four
5,087 posts
msg #129801
Ignore four
modified
7/13/2016 3:02:37 PM

Fetcher[
upper bollinger band(5,.05) below lower bollinger band(50,1.8)

high has been below upper bollinger band(5,.05) for the last 2 days
lower bollinger band(50,1.8) > upper bollinger band(5,.05)

close > open
low > 1
volume > 250123

]

four
5,087 posts
msg #129835
Ignore four
modified
7/15/2016 12:52:22 AM

Fetcher[
set{x, rsi(12) - 70}
draw x line at 3
draw rsi(12) line at 70
draw x line at -50
draw rsi(12) line at 30
sp500
]

four
5,087 posts
msg #129848
Ignore four
modified
7/15/2016 2:11:12 PM

See if pattern repeats for LONG

Fetcher[
sp500
draw rvi(10,3) above 60
rsi(2) above 30
low > 1 and volume > 123123
williams %R(2) crossed above -50
]

four
5,087 posts
msg #129867
Ignore four
7/17/2016 6:55:36 PM

Fetcher[

optionable
draw rsi(2) line at 80
draw rsi(2) line at 20
draw williams %R(11) below -80 last 5 days
draw stochastic %D(11,1,7) crossed above 5
rsi(10)
low > 10
volume > 123123

]

ahcsim72
151 posts
msg #129869
Ignore ahcsim72
7/17/2016 8:38:00 PM

Four, no kidding, I think you make the best simple filters that anyone can use in this forum, better than Kevin and Rumple... It seems you are a type of person who is not afraid of sharing your valuable filters obviously you put in great amount of time and efforts. Now with that said, I don't blame you if you don't want share your best of the bests, but can you tell us which are your tested 2nd best filters for long and shorts are? Thanks for all your great filters even if you decides not to tell us... :)

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Generic<< 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 63 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.