StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · How does your mood affect your trading<< >>Post Follow-up
spin85
23 posts
msg #121930
Ignore spin85
11/6/2014 1:33:28 PM

looking for some feedback. Thanks!!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #121937
Ignore karennma
11/6/2014 2:57:02 PM

Actually, for me personally, it's the reverse ...
my trading affects my mood, which is why sometimes, I have to take very long breaks.
The last one lasted several months.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #121940
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
11/6/2014 4:00:00 PM

I find that the results of recent trading activity influence me - I am more cautious entering new trades after a string of losses and more likely to be less cautious after several good trades in a row. That's human nature I guess, and why I try to use purely mechanical strategies as much as possible.

guspenskiy13
976 posts
msg #121941
Ignore guspenskiy13
modified
11/6/2014 4:58:29 PM

Your mood and trading are two interconnected entities.

just as Kevin said, the better I trade - the more arrogant and less cautious I become. While you really need to stay humble no matter what you achieve.

Unfortunately our mind has biases.

There is representation bias - we assume that the daily bar chart is the market or our favorite indicator is the market.

It comes with reliability bias - we assume that something is accurate - while it may not be.

There is lotto bias - we want to control the market and we focus on our entry, where we can force the market to do lots of things before we enter; but unfortunately when we enter - the market is going to do whatever. The golden rule of trading has nothing to do with entry.

There is conservatism bias - we see patterns where none exist and easily get convinced that they have a meaning; once we believe we have found a pattern and become convinced that it works - we will do anything to avoid evidence that it doesn't work.

There is randomness bias - we assume that markets are random and have many tops and bottoms - - but even random markets can have long streaks.

There is gamblers bias - we tend to think that the probability goes up for a win after a losing streak or up for a loss after a winning streak.

There is "conservative with profits and risky with losses ratio bias" - we tend to take profits quickly and give losses some room.

There is "my-current-trade-or-investment-must-be-a-winner" bias - which is at the root of all biases. Being right has nothing to do with making money.

We don't trade or invest in the markets, - we trade or invest according to our beliefs about the markets. - Van Tharp.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally, in my observations I've noticed:

1) If I'm impatient to buy or sell something - I probably shouldn't do it. When I really want to trade - that usually results in poor timing and sometimes completely wrong decisions. I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to trade - but there shouldn't be any hype in the decisions - which often comes when, for example, you don't have any positions.

2) I plan well ahead all of the opportunities - but I try to focus on multiple instruments rather than one or two. I believe that decreases the chances of having any biases - I do not "over-think" as I'm focused on diverse price-actions. IMO it's really easy to develop a bias when you have a plan to trade this single instrument in the way you want it - and you just sit in front of one chart all day.

3) Lastly, I think that I should only trade when I'm in the neutral mood. Complete calmness, even apathy. With that mood and zero biases, supported by a good plan/objectives....you get pretty good odds.

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · How does your mood affect your trading<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.