StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DEADLY COMBO<< 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up
johnnyvento
51 posts
msg #62567
Ignore johnnyvento
5/13/2008 5:25:33 PM

13th
How are you able to be so facile with the knowledge that a stock is approaching its 52 week high or where it crossed that mark? As simple as it sounds that information is not easy to get until after it crossed- i.e. if a stock crossed at 5.50 but now trades at 6.00 the 52 week range would now be given as x-6.00. Likewise how many stocks are 1-2% away from 52 wk. probably needs a filter.

Are you screening for that ahead of time? Or do you have some trading system which gives you those alerts?

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62572
Ignore 13th_floor
modified
5/13/2008 6:33:02 PM

johnny,

On Scott the actual 52 week high is shown in the quote box so I can see if a mover is getting close to breaking new 52's.
Plus on the Scott hod list all stock currently hitting new 52s are HIGHLIGHTED in green.
You can't miss them as they stand out bigtime as its scrolling. I was calling UFPT today as it was moving up,said at 13 cross it was getting close to new 52's
You can see in the quote box here its hod missed the 52 at 13.59 by a penny hod 13.58.
That's how I do it.

You can also see if a stock went "red to green" from the quote box.
Notice UFPT lod of day 11.78 was BELOW the previous close 12.12
So once it passed 12.12 it was considered "going green"
The quote box makes it fast and simple for 52's and going red to green or red to green for shorts.

Also the "shares outstanding" gives you an idea of how high or low the "float" is.
Almost always 15,000 shares outstanding will give you the lower float ones,they are usually faster movers if buying vol is coming in,that's why I like to trade those if I find them.
You can see UFPT is very very low at only 5374 shrs outstanding
2 others I played today VION and SSBX both were under 10,000 shares outstanding

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

lizzydog
32 posts
msg #62578
Ignore lizzydog
5/13/2008 8:47:07 PM

13th_floor-----What filter do you use to find day rangers?

thanks,
lizzydog

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62579
Ignore 13th_floor
5/13/2008 9:35:21 PM

lizzy,

Fetcher[show stocks where the average day range(10) is above 8 percent and close price is between 1 and 10 and volume is above 300000 and
date offset is 0
]

And I have a column on it for ADR(30) to match up the highest ones.
I start at 8% and keep upping the % until I have 40 matches.

Tonight 10.1% ADR(10) gives 40 awesome matches.
Rank them in order by ADR(30) column

Fetcher[show stocks where the average day range(10) is above 10.1 percent and close price is between 1 and 10 and volume is above 300000 and
date offset is 0
]

lizzydog
32 posts
msg #62580
Ignore lizzydog
5/13/2008 9:40:37 PM

13th_floor---------------Thank you very much for these filters

lizzydog

johnnyvento
51 posts
msg #62583
Ignore johnnyvento
5/13/2008 11:07:49 PM

I may be missing something, but if you add a column such as "ADR(10)" or "ADR(30)" to your filter then you can sort by that column. Just click on that heading to resort the list and copy the top 40. Do you really need to keep tweaking it down to 40?

If I'm right, your Deadly Combo filter can actually be sorted 3 ways- highest day range, highest times 4_9 and highest total trips. Each sort produces a different top 40- but obviously with some overlap. The ones that overlap on multiple lists are probably top candidates. But what do I know.

johnnyvento
51 posts
msg #62584
Ignore johnnyvento
5/13/2008 11:23:27 PM

13th,
thanks for taking the time to make a detailed post. One question I still have is whether you guys are working off of your filter lists or whether you are getting real time alerts during the day. I just got the Scottrade Elite upgrade (without qualifying for it, don't ask me how) and I have that capability, but it doesn't seem like any of you guys use it. You're all working off what you know and using the chat room to manually alert each other because you all use the same system. And you just showed me in your post above how you have all the information you seem to need from the basic version.

Obviously I don't know you and how you work but if you can shed any light it would be much appreciated.

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62587
Ignore 13th_floor
5/14/2008 7:46:57 AM

johhny,

"Do you really need to keep tweaking it down to 40?"

The reason I tweak down is because first I want to see the top 40 ADR(10) stocks then rank them in order by highest ADR(30).

"If I'm right, your Deadly Combo filter can actually be sorted 3 ways- highest day range, highest times 4_9 and highest total trips. Each sort produces a different top 40- but obviously with some overlap. The ones that overlap on multiple lists are probably top candidates. But what do I know."

Sure you could do this and no doubt it would work just fine.
Each person could probably find a bunch of very good ways to use the scan.

"One question I still have is whether you guys are working off of your filter lists or whether you are getting real time alerts during the day. I just got the Scottrade Elite upgrade (without qualifying for it, don't ask me how) and I have that capability, but it doesn't seem like any of you guys use it. You're all working off what you know and using the chat room to manually alert each other because you all use the same system. And you just showed me in your post above how you have all the information you seem to need from the basic version."

I work both off my filter lists and the hod lists if I spot a stock I know from the past that has run very good but is not on any of my lists ( like VION yesterday ).
I too had the Scott Elite but never used , I preferred the less noisy basic to trade from.
A few months ago I switched all but $500 ( still that so I can use all of their tools ) into an InteractiveBrokers account.
IB has super low commissions plus under $5 shorts are allowed.

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62617
Ignore 13th_floor
5/14/2008 6:45:09 PM

5/12/2008 6:17:47 PM

"MESA 6 red days in a row, now sitting at .671

SSBX looks to be setting up for a nice short one day this week,wait for red"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MESA closed at .641
Got my red on SSBX just after noon as it gapped and crapped going from 4.20 yesterday all the way up to 4.89 this morn before tanking bad down to red 4.19
Taking my chances and holding SSBX hoping for a "MESA" type longer term short swing.

lizzydog
32 posts
msg #62621
Ignore lizzydog
5/14/2008 10:20:31 PM

13th_floor-------on the two filters you run every night, do you use a cutoff on the volume?

thanks,
lizzydog

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DEADLY COMBO<< 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.