StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · /* SureFire Long Entry SELECTION CRITERIA */<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
bkhurana43
103 posts
msg #52119
Ignore bkhurana43
6/10/2007 5:19:33 PM

I would prefer to have you update the functionality in a professional manner.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #52122
Ignore TheRumpledOne
6/10/2007 5:56:32 PM

HUH?

Arooj
15 posts
msg #52172
Ignore Arooj
6/11/2007 10:10:49 PM

hi bkhurana,

it has taken me about 4 months of reading SF posts (printing them out, dissecting them, copying relevant sections to Word documents, etc.) to begin understanding what was going on here.

I am still amazed at the level of contribution that many of the traders here have poured out using these tools; it represents many thousand man-days of work and that's likely underestimating it. It's our responsibility to take the time and try to piece together what may work for us individually. As much as I may want to be "spoon fed," it ain't gonna work in the long term.

Having said this, I too am interested in what you have mentioned. Basicially, I've been interested in finding the period immediately after range contraction, namely expansion, which we can characterize as increased volatility, and others have mentioned the following in this regard:

1. "Opportunity" which can be construed at ATR/price, or ATR(52)/EMA(52) which gives the ratio of average daily range over an exponentially weighted average (in this case, of 52 days). A shorter range of, say, 10 days could also be used. Statistically, greater gains have been obtained from those equities which demonstate greater opportunity (this term copyright to Traderblues ;-)

2. Comparing current price to historical volatility (see alf44's wonderful post of 5/28/07, under "historical volatility help"), and selecting those within a desirable range.

3. Sorting stocks via analysis of normalized standard deviation {stddev}; one need not write an explicit conditional statement for this, but simply add a column, then sort through it like the following (shamelessly copied from a reply to Msummer's recent post):

and add column normalized standard deviation(85) {stddev}
and sort column 5 descending

I not saying that all of these are equivalent, but they do provide a starting point.

If you are seeking the more quiet, range contraction period, merely state that the above criteria are to be at a minimum for the time period of your choice.

I am no options guru, but from what I have learned I have become wary of cheap options which may turn out to be a false bargain. I use them as a proxy for the stock purchase, and base my stop loss and decision for buying them on the underlying, keeping deltas close to 0.65 as it is the best accelerating part of the appreciation curve.

I hope this is of value. I still am wearing my SF diapers but as soon as I am housebroken I hope to contribute in a more substantive way.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55745
Ignore TheRumpledOne
10/16/2007 11:49:25 AM

pop

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #55796
Ignore jrbikes
10/17/2007 10:27:49 PM

what was that?

anyway, hey Rump, that filter is a lot like my penny filter, all the EMA and MA and RSI stuff, man, people make trading too complicated, this x=z and that y=xx,s 50 billion, is just crazy, I come to realize that, well to quote a famous author, (its not what you trade, its how you trade)

good thing we dont have to trade with just the Tape and a Water boy!

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · /* SureFire Long Entry SELECTION CRITERIA */<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.