StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · 5 Year Anniversary<< >>Post Follow-up
15minoffame
131 posts
msg #111234
Ignore 15minoffame
2/9/2013 12:55:01 AM

I just realized I've been with StockFetcher for 5 years now. I joined on 2/2/08. I've been with SF longer than with some of my girlfriends! I wonder how many of you has been with SF longer?

I've learned from many on here over the past 5 years. I started by using the filter builder and have since graduated from there. Don't get me wrong, I'm still no where near the skill level of The Rumpled One, Chetron, Kevin just to name a few. I've seen many come and gone. Luckily or cursed, I still have a huge passion for stocks and still use SF on a daily basis over this past half decade.

I've seen SF bashed unmercifully at times. But think about it, they haven't raised their price in all this time I've been with them. They've always gotten back to me within 24 hours every time I had a question about their service or help with writing a filter. I've never had any problems with SF!

I hope SF will be around for at least another 5 years so I can celebrate my 10 year anniversary!

All the best to all of you!

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #111238
Ignore Cheese
2/9/2013 11:38:45 AM

Congratulations on reaching your milestone, 15minoffame!

You must have banked a few coins if you've stayed with sF for five years, and still look forward to many more.
Maybe a new user ID of yearsoffame is now more appropriate than 15minoffame ;)

It may be helpful to the community if you could mention some Aha! moments, threads, or posts that resonated
with you over the years.

I like StockFetcher. But sF archived threads and posts are like gold mines, with nuggets here and there among
tons of other stuff. Sometimes, I had to use Google instead of sF search in order to find info inside sF.

Off the top of your head, if you could just provide enough clues for community members to know that those nuggets
exist, and then we can search for that info.

Thanks.

15minoffame
131 posts
msg #111256
Ignore 15minoffame
2/10/2013 3:46:48 PM

Hi Cheese!
I've learned a ton over the past 5 years. I've experimented with all kinds of filters but there's one thing that ALL newbies should only care about...PATIENCE! Allow the market to show its hands. Many many many times in my early years I thought I was smarter than the market only to have my head handed to me each and every time!

I've also learned that PRICE ACTION dictates EVERYTHING and indicators follow! You can have the strongest indicator but if price can't break its resistance and follow through, then even your strongest indicator wouldn't be worth much. Keep it simple! Either buy at support or break of resistance during an uptrend and vice versa during a downtrend. Do not be caught in no man's land which is in the middle. I stay away from choppy charts because nothing dwindles your account faster than a choppy stock.

I didn't understand this in the beginning but now I cut my losses quickly once I find out a trade is not going my way. I used to tell myself it will come back, but you know what, that come back could take weeks if not months! Why have dead money that whole time? You can always jump back in but you can't if you don't have anymore money! These are common sense rules but I'm still shocked & awed that many newbies including veterans like myself still make these stupid mistakes...lol.

I like to enter a stock when it break its resistance that it has touched at least three times over the past 3-6 months. The more times it touched the better. It now has all this pent up frustrated energy and you'd be surprised now how much it can move away from it's previous peak. Don't get me wrong, the majority of break outs fail and fail miserably. The key is to get out once it comes back below its last peak.

You may have already been doing this but if not, join Twitter & StockTwits. More eyes are better than one! Many many times I asked myself, "How the heck did I miss this stock?" I hope this has helped you a bit.

All the best to you Cheese!

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #111262
Ignore Cheese
2/11/2013 1:39:52 AM

Thank you, 15minoffame for sharing your learning !

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · 5 Year Anniversary<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.